Here's another simple, yet flavorful meatless meal to try. This recipe is perfect for weeknights, when you simply don't have much time, or energy, to spend in the kitchen. Create it from ingredients you already have on hand, and have it on the table in less than half an hour!
Broccoli Mushroom Rotini
This vegetarian pasta recipe is quick and easy to make without sacrificing nutrition.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are serving picky eaters, or if you just do not like spicy foods, simply omit the red pepper flakes.
- To save even more time on preparation, frozen broccoli florets may be substituted for fresh broccoli. Make sure they are thawed and drained well.
- Whole grain rolls and a spinach salad are excellent complements to this dish.
- If you must add meat, shrimp, clams, mussels, and scallops all work well in this pasta dish.
- I always recommend using fresh herbs for a stronger flavor, if you have them on hand, but, if you have only dried herbs, using them will certainly not ruin the meal.
- Not overly fond of broccoli and mushrooms? Substitute other vegetables. Some suggestions are: yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell pepper, Swiss chard, and kale. Remember to adjust the cooking times, depending on the vegetables you are using. For instance, tomatoes don't need to cook at all - just add them at the last minute, as you are mixing everything together. If you are using kale, spinach, or Swiss chard, you only want to wilt them, so 2 minutes in the boiling water with the pasta should be enough. Another option for the chard is to sauté it with the garlic, and the same thing goes for squash, zucchini and bell pepper.
- Feel free to use any pasta shapes you like. I think the smaller shapes work best with this sauce.
In the Kitchen
My Cooking Blog
Here's what you'll need:
|Cuisinart 766-24 Chef's Classic 8-Quart Stockpot with Cover|
Simmer that perfect lamb curry or boil up a party-size platter of pasta in this classic Cuisinart stockpot. Made of professional quality 18/10 stainless steel that won't react w...
|OXO SteeL Spaghetti Server|
Sturdy, comfortable, and endowed with sleek good looks, this pasta server has it all. Fettucine and linguine don't stand a chance against this beauty.
|ExcelSteel 242 5-Quart Stainless Steel Colander|
5-Quart stainless colander constructed in stainless steel with over sizes handles makes carrying food comfortable and easy. Sturdy base to sit on counter and sink.Only $9.73
|Prime Pacific Stainless Steel Pasta Pot Set|
Set includes a 2-quart stainless steel pasta pot, a 6-quart stainless steel pasta pot, and a cheese grater.
Broccoli Mushroom Rotini
A Meatless Pasta Dish
Prep time 10 min - Total time 20 min
Ingredients for 6 servings
1/4 cup margarine • 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil • 1/4 cup white cooking wine • 3 cloves minced garlic • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese • 2 tablespoons dried basil • 1/4 cup dried parsley • fresh ground black pepper, to taste • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes • 1 package whole wheat rotini pasta • 3/4 pound fresh broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces • 8 ounces sliced, fresh button mushrooms
Cook the Pasta & Veggies
1. In a stock pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Add the broccoli to the pot for the last four minutes of cooking time. Add the mushrooms to the pasta and broccoli for the last two minutes of cooking time. Drain the mixture, and set it aside.
Prepare the Sauce
2. Turn the heat down to medium low, and saute the garlic for two or three minutes in olive oil. Add the butter and the spices. When the butter is melted, stir in the wine.
Mix It Up
3. Add the pasta mixture to the pot, and stir to coat with the sauce. Remove the pot from heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.