How to Eat Flax Seeds
An overview of different creative ways of how to eat flax seeds. The health benefits of flax seeds are extensive, but finding ways to consume them can be difficult.
What Are the Benefits of Flaxseed Nutrition?
First things first....
Before looking at how to eat flax seeds, it is important to look at the benefits of flaxseed nutrition. Flax seeds are an all natural and affordable health supplement. In terms of major preventative care, flax seeds have been shown to lower bad cholesterol, guard against heart disease and have been listed as a potential aid to prevent cancer. Chances are that the average user is more interested in the immediate health benefits of flax seeds. Fortunately, there are many.
A Nutritional Super Food
Flax seeds contain vital omega-3 fatty acids, as well as magnesium, fiber, and ligans (prevention of breast cancer). Flax seeds have also been shown to decrease insulin resistence and protect against diabetes. A regular diet of flax seeds can also help the body defend against a whole host of diseases related to the immune system. The alpha linolenic acid in conjunction with the lignans promotes the healthy function of the immune system. Additionally, many people use flax seeds as a weight management system. Eating a small serving of flax seeds before a meal has been shown to curb appetite and encourage weight loss by preventing over-eating.
Where to Buy Ground Flax Seed
|Badia Organic Flax Seed, Ground, 16-Ounce|
|Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed, 14-Ounce Pouch (Pack of 4)|
Spectrum Essentials® is the company's line of nutritional oils including over 20 distinct products aimed at supporting good health by providing essential fatty acids like omega-...
|Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal, 32-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)|
Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal is freshly milled to preserve the natural oils and nutrients. Ground flaxseed has a nutty taste and is a noted health-giving digestive aid. This opa...
Eating Flax Seeds
Creative ways to get the nutrition...
The wonderful thing about flax seeds is that they are such a versatile nutrient source. Determining how to eat flax seeds is limited only by your imagination, but here are a few of the best, and easiest, ways to eat flax seeds.
How to Eat Flax Seeds: Ten Ways!
1) Salads - Flax seeds can work nicely sprinkled to taste into a variety of salads. Because salads themselves are creative endeavors, sprinkling in some flax is an easy and nutritious way to go.
2) Cold Cereal - Similar to salads, sprinkling a little flax seed on a bowl of cereal every morning is SO easy. Don't over-do it though. Flax does have a taste and texture (not strong, but still noticeable) so if you like the taste of your frosted flakes, apply in moderation.
3) On Yogurt - Sprinkle a little in and your will hardly know its there. Similarly, add it to cottage cheese, or even ice cream!
Again, get creative! Learning how to eat flax seeds is largely a function of
4) Hot Cereal - You can generally get away with adding more flax seed to hot cereal, because the texture, heat, and taste naturally help mask the grains. If a larger serving is what you want, go with hot cereal.
5) Smoothie or Shake - Flax can be thrown in the blender with virtually anything and you will never know its there. With smoothies and shakes it can be a great option because many people like to use flax as a post-workout (or pre-workout) nutrient.
6) Egg Substitute - Many Vegans have long used ground flax as a substitute for eggs in common recipes, especially in baking (just make sure you get the ratio right)! In fact, even if you do use eggs in a recipe, ground flax can still be added with no problems.
7) PB & J - Okay, this one is a little specific, but sprinkling flax on the peanut butter in a sandwich is an easy way to get the nutrition you desire.
8) Mashed Potatoes - You add salt and pepper anyway, why not throw in some ground flax seed? This is a great way to "spruce up" otherwise empty carbs.
9) Pancakes/Waffles - Again, simple idea with serious health benefits. Sprinkle some into the batter before you make waffles or pancakes.
10) Pasta Sauce - Add some flax to your pasta sauce and the kids will never know!
Hope this helps you find some creative ways of how to eat flax seeds!
Grinding Your Own Flax Seeds?
Check out these Quality Grinders
|Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Essential Flaxseed 14 oz.|
Spectrum Essential Flaxseed Organic Grnd Essential 14 Oz Food Supplement at HerbsCity store.
|Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal, 16-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)|
Provides fiber, lignans & omega-3 fats. Friend of the heart. Be aware that Bob's Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal has a robust, nutty flavor and tastes really great. Two tablespoo...Only $8.99
|Badia Organic Flax Seed, Ground, 16-Ounce|
Grinding Your Own Flax Seeds
For the best freshness...
Where to Buy Whole Flax Seeds
|Spectrum Naturals - Flaxseed Whole, 15 oz seeds|
Our Organic Whole Flaxseed comes from premium quality, triple-cleaned organic seeds; no low-weight, broken or cracked seeds. It is great with yogurt, sprinkled on cereal or ...
|Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Flaxseed Brown, 24-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)|
Natural raw whole. Provides fiber, lignans & omega-3 fats. Flaxseed was eaten by the early Greeks and Romans like nuts. You may eat the natural untreated seeds whole, ground ...Only $17.16
|Premium Gold Whole Flax seed, 26 Ounce Jars (Pack of 4)|
Premium Gold Flax, Inc. is the originator of the True Cold Milled process of natural shelf stable flaxseed, bringing flaxseed to new frontiers, not only as a stand-alone ...Only $20.00