Plant these flower seeds that are large enough for a child to pick up and plant.
Nasturtium seeds are large enough for tiny hands to be able to pick them up and plant them one by one. Big seeds are a great idea when gardening with children. A child will not easily cope with a packet of seeds to sow if they are as fine as dust and difficult to sprinkle evenly.
- Nasturtiums are easy to grow.
- Flower in a range of bright colors.
- Taller varieties are good climbers.
It is interesting to show a child how the plant grows and also how it holds onto things to climb upwards.
Sunflower seeds are also large enough to pick up and plant individually. The seeds are interesting and attractive as they usually have black and white stripes.
- A sunflower is bold in color and impressive in size.
- They grow quickly.
- The seeds of sunflowers can be used to feed the birds.
- You can collect the seeds to store and then plant sunflowers again next year. If you wish to collect the seeds of flowers to grow on in future years do not buy hybrid varieties.
Sunflowers grow tall and are also easy to measure for improving numeracy skills.
The child will find the sunflower an easy flower to use for inspiration for art and craft lessons.
Sunflower seeds can be used with other items to make collages.