To make this a lower sodium meal, the meatless sausage can be omitted. If you go that route, I would suggest doubling the eggs. As with most of my recipes, this is very versatile, and I encourage you to play around with the ingredients to suit your tastes.
Meatless Breakfast Burritos for Two
This is a fast, easy, and healthy breakfast for two. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, if you have more people to feed.
Tips & Tricks
- Just prior to beating the eggs, I like to add a little bit of milk, or even cream, if it is available. It is not necessary, but I just think it gives the eggs a richer flavor.
- I also like to use herbs and spices when I cook. To add a little extra flavor to scrambled eggs, I usually add fresh ground black pepper and either dried cilantro or basil before scrambling them.
- There are several different brands of vegetarian sausage, but I use MorningStar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties. It is what is available at the supermarkets I shop, and I also enjoy the taste of them.
- Once the eggs and cheese are on the tortillas, you can stick them in the microwave (for 30 seconds) or toaster oven (for about a minute or two) to warm the tortillas and melt the cheese.
- You'll notice that I have not given measurements for the oil, cheese, salsa or sour cream. That is because I do not measure these ingredients; I simply add as much as I like! Please use them sparingly, if you are concerned about your fat intake.
- Make this a vegan meal by replacing the eggs with firm or extra firm tofu and omitting the other dairy products (cheese, sour cream, milk or cream).
- Fresh fruit or home fries and orange juice are a nice complement to this breakfast.
What you'll need to prepare this breakfast:
|OXO Good Grips Nylon Balloon Whisk|
Made of sturdy nylon, the nylon balloon whisk lets in plenty of air for fluffier meringues and custards. The whisk is heat resistant up to 400 degrees so you can whisk directly ...
|Cook Pro 4 piece Mixing Bowl Set|
Sizes include 115 ounce, 81 ounce, 51 ounce, 27 ounce mixing bowls which can be nested for easy storage, easy-grip wide rimOnly $9.62
|T-Fal Professional Non-Stick 8-Inch Fry (Saute) Pan, Black|
T-Fal's 8-inch Professional Saute features T-fal's patented non-stick coating, riveted soft-touch handle, and is oven safe to 350 degrees. This cookware is also equipped with a ...
|Wilton 570-1121 Easy Flex 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set, Blue|
Perfect for all your baking needs. This 3 piece silicone set includes the popular spoon, small and medium spatulas.
In the Kitchen
My Food & Cooking Blog
Meatless Breakfast Burritos for Two
Healthy & Filling
Prep time 10 min - Total time 20 min
Ingredients for 2 servings
INGREDIENTS • canola oil • 1 meatless sausage patty • 2 large eggs • 2 whole wheat flour tortillas (medium size) • 1/4 cup diced onion • 4 avocado slices • 2 oz. diced chiles • OPTIONAL GARNISHES • low fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded • salsa (red or green) • low fat sour cream • chopped scallions
1. In small bowl, beat the eggs, and set them aside.
2. In a skillet or a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage patty. While sauteing the onions, cook the sausage patty for about 3 minutes on each side, then crumble it with a spatula.
3. Push the sausage and onions to one side of the pan. Pour the eggs into the empty side of pan, and scramble them. (If necessary, add a little more oil first.
4. Fill two tortillas with the egg mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top of the eggs. To each tortilla add chiles, salsa, two avocado slices, and sour cream. Wrap each tortilla, and secure with toothpicks. Enjoy!
Mexican Inspired Cuisine
Want more recipes?
Avocado Crab Quesadillas
Try these for a light meal or an appetizer.
Black Beans & Rice
This is a staple at our house.
Oven Baked Wet Burritos
These are delicious and easy to make.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
A scrumptious one dish meal.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken in Salsa
The perfect filling for your favorite Tex-Mex meals.