How can you tell if your doll is haunted? "Haunted doll" may be a common search term on sites like eBay, but what does it mean in practical terms? Most people don't consider that a doll can even be haunted by a spirit. How can you tell if a doll is actually haunted -- or if it is just really, really creepy?
Is my doll haunted?
If you suspect your doll may be haunted, this checklist of possible haunting signs can help you to decide how best to handle your haunting.
Types of haunted dolls
Haunted dolls seem to fall into one of three types:
- A doll found in an attic or basement which seem to possess a life of their own.
- A doll which became possessed by a spirit as a result of a spell or incantation.
- A doll which might appear to be haunted because of its design (a goth doll, for example), but is nothing more than a doll.
Signs that a doll is haunted
It is not difficult to tell if a doll is haunted. Look over this checklist to determine if haunting is a possible explanation.
Haunted or just creepy?
Does something seem strange about the doll?
A well-made doll can have a lot of personality, but there should be limits to the amount of liveliness. If the doll crosses the "uncanny valley" by seeming too animate, that might be cause for a concern of haunting. You should likewise be concerned if the doll is suddenly being referenced with a name and a personality, as in "Jane wants you to leave".
Do others get uneasy around the doll?
A plea not to be left alone with the doll can be an indication of an issue.
Things tend to happen when the doll is around
If strange phenomenon seem to occur every time the doll is present (objects moving, strange lights, etc), the doll may be haunted.
How to sell a haunted doll
What to do when your doll is haunted
If you determine that a doll is haunted, you may decide the best option is to sell it. What info should be given to potential buyers?
- Provide as much info as you know about the doll's history. Potential buyers should be informed beforehand of any potentially disturbing background.
- Price to sell. Do not overprice the doll if you want it gone. If selling the doll in an auction, have a low starting bid. That will allow the market value of your particular haunted doll to fall where it may.
Time left: 3 days, 1 hour
Fixed price: $45.00 Buy It Now
Time left: 3 days, 1 hour
Fixed price: $30.00 Buy It Now
Time left: 2 days, 3 hours
Fixed price: $20.00 Buy It Now
Time left: 4 weeks
Fixed price: $100.00 Buy It Now
Buying a haunted doll
There is a heavy responsibility in acquiring a doll reputed to be haunted. Are you willing to do what is necessary to prevent others from being harmed by a haunted doll? Can you bind or otherwise contain the doll if things get out of hand? Some delight in collecting numerous haunted dolls while assuming none of the burden of responsibility for them. Don't be that person.
Films featuring haunted or possessed dolls
If you are fascinated by the haunted doll phenomenon, you might enjoy these films:
You might also enjoy these articles:
- "Dolls That Go BUMP in the Night" by Robin Nason in Doll Reader (October 2009).