1. Mix 1/4 cup water, sugar and yeast until dissolved into the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
2. Let this rest 5 minutes.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, remaining 3/4 cup warm water, 1 1/2 cups flour, the rosemary, and salt.
4. Using the paddle attachment, blend until combined.
5. Switch to the hook attachment, add 1 cup flour; knead mixture on medium speed until smooth and elastic.
6. If the dough is sticking to the bowl, add more flour.
7. Cover the bowl; put in warm place to rise until more than doubled.
8. Divide dough into two equal portions.
9. With1 tablespoon olive oil, grease a rimmed baking sheet.
10. Dust a work surface with flour; shape dough portions into ovals.
11. Transfer to a baking sheet spacing apart; allow to rest uncovered until doubled.
12. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Bake 10 minutes, remove from the oven and brush the loaves with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
14. Place back into the oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer until golden brown.
15. Serve the warm bread with a mixture of olive oil and freshly ground black pepper for dipping.