Fritters are small sweet or savory cakes or balls, containing fruit, vegetables or fish, that are dipped in a batter, deep-fried, and served hot. The recipe derives its name from the Old French word "friture" that means "frying". The ingredients are mixed into a thick batter, that is scooped up and dropped by spoonfuls into hot oil to cook. They can also be cooked on a hot griddle.
Wholesome And Delicious Fritters
Homemade fritters are a rich and delicious treat, suitable as starters, as a side dish, dessert, or as just a snack.
Sweet fritters like apple are eaten as a dessert or breakfast item and are often dusted or rolled in powdered sugar before serving. They can also be served with chocolate sauce and fresh cream or ice cream, or drizzled with a sugar glaze. In fruit fritters, the taste of fruit should be the dominant flavor, rather than the taste of the batter. To properly adhere the coating, apple slices should be dry before dipping.
- 4 medium sized apples
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- half teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Mix and sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the eggs well and add to milk. Stir in the flour mixture, so as to avoid lumps.
- Peel the apples, and cut them into uniform slices. Stir apples into the batter. Deep fry until golden. Drain on absorbent paper towel and sprinkle powdered sugar. Serve hot.
|Fritters: Top 50 Most Delicious Fritter Recipes (Reipe Top 50's Book 97)|
Fritters are an extremely versatile food. They can be a side dish, appetizer, snack, or dessert. They were originally introduced in Japan in the 16th century, and have been rela...
|Fritters: Quick and Easy Snacks and Desserts|
Fritters - sweet or savory, they make a great snack or dessert! Try these easy to make, delicious recipes.Some of the recipes in the book:Apple Cinnamon Fritters, Apple Ring Fri...
|The Fritter Bible: 25 of the Best Fritter Recipes that you will ever make|
Do you just love indulging in a warm fritter? Have you been looking for a fritters cookbook? If you have picky eaters at home, I am sure you are always on the lookout for ways t...
Savory fritters, such as corn are typically served as an appetizer or accompaniment to a meal. Depending on the ingredients, they may be served with sauce or gravy.
- 1.5 cups standard plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper (as per your taste)
- 2 eggs
- 900 gms cream-style corn
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a bowl. Beat the eggs, and add to the dry ingredients, mixing to combine. Stir in sweet corn.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Drop a tablespoon of corn mixture into the pan. Cook until golden, then turn and cook the other side. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot.
Courgette and Broccoli Fritters
Fritters require deep frying, so should be thoroughly drained before serving. If the vegetables inside are uncooked, the oil may have been too hot or the coating too thick. If the coating is too thin or uneven, the vegetables may be overcooked or the batter could float off the bits of food. Courgette or zucchini, being a member of the Cucurbita family, contain chemicals cucurbitacins, that protect the plant from predators, but impart a bitter taste. Before cooking, have a small bit of it, and discard if it is unusually bitter in taste.
- 300 gms courgettes (zucchini) grated
- 6 eggs
- 150 gms broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour/rice flour
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil (sunflower oil/olive oil/rice bran oil)
- Mixed herbs (parsley, mint, dill) finely chopped
- Squeeze the grated courgette between your palms to remove excess moisture. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the broccoli, courgettes, herbs, and mix well. Add the flour, mix again and season. You can use gluten-free flour or even whole wheat flour, depending on your taste.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet. Put in a large serving spoon of the mixture. Then add two more spoonfuls, so you have three fritters. Leave for a few minutes on medium flame until golden brown on one side, and firm enough for you to flip over. Then turn sides, and leave to fry until golden. Repeat to make other fritters.
- Scatter with the remaining herbs to serve.