Create topic New topics

Forum

Chatter away, friends!

THE BUSINESS OF 200 ARTICLES

katiem2

Down to the business of articles and traffic - Cha Ching!!!

Articles - WriterArtist - Hit the Nail on the Head!

200 – 300 and on and on

BUT let’s start out slow and steady working toward quality content, or in the words of chef sterling, yea that’s the ticket.

More is BEST! - BUT Quality is BETTER! and yes original is even better, straight from your head.

sheilamarie - Your on to something - WRITE WHAT'S in your heart

I've always been a firm believer you should write from the heart.

Write Twice

FIRST – With a beloved topic in mind write from the heart

Second - Write from the brain - EDIT it UP all spit shined and polished!

That's where the good stuff comes from that original GOLD!

Use the Buddy System - You Must Give to Receive 

At this forum we will set up our buddy system assigning writers to one another who will read each other’s articles as soon as they are published making the writer aware of mistakes, typos and the like so they can correct them out of the gate.

When a writer is near completion let the buddies of the forum know so they may then carve out time to read the article. Upon publishing your article come back reminding your editing buddy or buddies providing a link for easy access (unless this is in violation, chef please advise if so simply leave title) allowing the process to smoothly move along. This insures we put out quality articles and encourages us to move forward creating more quality articles working toward our 200 goal.

What do you think, how can we tweak this plan to make it fit our goal? Is this doable?

Should the editing finds be sent to the writers message box or here???

Katie McMurray
dustytoes

I like the idea of a buddy system.  Much more interesting than going it alone.  That being said, whoever is my buddy will have it quite easy, as I write very little.....!Cool

Probably messaging will work better as everyone will have to scroll through here to find their "buddy".

Who assigns us?  Now you've started something Katie.  I'd like to hear more input.

ologsinquito

Every writer needs and editor.

WriterArtist

Dear Katiem,

I like the idea of buddy system. It will act as a source of encouragement to newbies.

sheilamarie

I agree with those who have already commented. Katie, your idea keeps the personal feel which is one of the best parts of writing on this site.  

Assigning buddies could be a problem, though. It can't be seen as a popularity contest because that would counteract the positive elements of the idea. 

Read one of my books Sheila's Books
Ragtimelil

If buddies could be a popularity thing, maybe a pool of people who would appreciate feedback and would give feedback to others. I hesitate to mention typos in someone's articles because I fear it may come off as critical. I'd appreciate feedback on mine. I hate to put something out there with mistakes in it and I know how easy it is to read, and re-read and still miss the obvious!

Lana or LIl aka Ragtimelil RagtimeLil's Store on Weebly
katiem2

Sorry I fell off the grid again, 

I think the buddy system would need to be a group of willing contributors who are both giving and receiving yet not doing so for the same (one another) writers (back and forth) yet mixing it up. For example if WriterArtist completes an article she comes here posting she's completed one and the title, someone (a buddy) post I'm on it letting others know they've taken on the task and then later reports back to the writer with any editing reports if necessary

Lana, I really don't think you need to feel anyone would be mad at you or feel offended otherwise they wouldn't participate in this group or study if you will. 

You never know why someone might struggle with words, spelling or grammar, someone who may of once been an excellent language arts/ English student, myself for example.

Here's why I'm always happy to receive word of a error regardless of how seemingly stupid it MAY seem to you the reader, while it may seem the like these error are most often just that over sights, error the writer would love to correct.

Why - I suffered a traumatic brain injury two years to the day this July the 21st.  I went through 8 month of cognitive therapy learning to process speech, read, spell and write. I also now have horrific migraines for which I take Imitrix and Topamax. Topamax has one terrible side effect; word finding, spelling etc. While it is amazing migraine relief I sacrifice this loss so if you note errors in my work please let me know I will be forever grateful.  You never know what others struggle with and yet they too offer something.

Bottom line those of us who write here are diverse and unique as are those out there searching the web, the traffic will come more and more steady once WE grow in our number of articles hang in there and don't hesitate to correct those of us coming here admitting we want correction!

Admittedly, while I love writing I'm often blind to my own struggles with word finding and spelling, medication creating a blind spot I'm blind to noting, with that don't hesitate to point my DUMB mistakes out to me. I'll be very grateful!

Katie McMurray
sheilamarie

Okay, so now I think I get better what Katie is proposing. We post our article on this thread and someone volunteers to read it through for errors. The net effect of this is that the site as a whole improves its professionalism with articles with fewer glaring errors and a happier reading experience for visitors. That can only help us all, as Wizzley will be returned to as a site where the writers have taken more care and their articles are more polished.

Great idea! The only thing I would add is that maybe instead of one buddy, anyone who has time that day could respond. Sometimes one person picks up on one error while another picks up on something else. Also our time may vary from day to day and week to week.

Katie, did you intend us to respond with a private message or publicly in the forum? There are plusses and minuses to both. A message may be less embarrassing.

Read one of my books Sheila's Books
dustytoes

sheilamarie: 07/04/2013 - 02:11 PM

Great idea! The only thing I would add is that maybe instead of one buddy, anyone who has time that day could respond. Sometimes one person picks up on one error while another picks up on something else. Also our time may vary from day to day and week to week.

I agree with more than one person volunteering helpful info.  I think a message to the writer would be best.

Loading ...
Error!