How to start a band
From classical to rock, this guide will give you tips, suggestions and advice on starting a band.
If you dream of becoming a super rockstar...
... or a renowned performer, but don’t want to go it alone forming a band may be the answer you’re looking for! To form a succesful band, whatever the genre, you will have to combine bucket loads of hard work with enthusiasm, a vision to make it big and a little bit of unique flair. Sound easy? Let’s get started then...
Choosing band members wisely
It’s up to you to decide how many members you will need and what kind of instruments you’ll all play. This is dependent on several factors:
- what type of band you want to be
- what type of genre you want to play
- who you know that wants to be in a band
- what instruments you have to hand
Only choose members you’ll be happy to rehearse with several times per week (you’ll need to practise hard) and it usually helps if you’re interested in the same kind of music. This will stop conflicts in the future!
Form a rock band...
Or a classical band...
If you don’t already own your instruments here are a few tips:
- Request your instrument for Christmas or on a birthday. If it’s expensive, ask all the family for cash so you can buy it from everybody.
- See if your school loans instruments out to pupils.
- Get a paper round and save up. Generous parents may offer to match whatever you earn if you stick the paper round religiously every day. If they can’t afford to (or don’t want to!) you could still save your money for several months and put it towards an instrument on your birthday or at Christmas.
- Offer to do odd jobs for family and friends in order to earn. A pound for carrying in heavy shopping, a fiver for cleaning the kitchen or a tenner for thoroughly cleaning both parent’s cars inside and out. It’ll all soon add up, plus it’ll give you something to do when you’re bored at weekends.
If your band is good and you are lucky enough to secure your first gig, your band could hire out equipment until they can afford to buy it! Plenty of companies offer out PA systems for hire.
What type of music will your band play?
Promotion & Gaining Exposure
The easiest way to get promotion for your band and gain exposure for your music is by getting online.
- Start up a MySpace page for your band and upload your songs to the player
- Comment on other MySpace pages & make friends with other bands
- Get a Facebook 'fan' page for your band and get your friends to 'like' it
- Build a website on a free platform, such as Webs or Weebly
- Get a Twitter account & talk to others with the same interest in music as you
- Talk to celebs on Twitter, frontmen of bands especially