Latest comments

Walks for a Ruby Wedding
Excellent. We are going to the lake District for our 40th anniversary in October. I don't know Elterwater so this is of great interest to me . Congratulations to a gorgeous couple and see you soon.
Veronica, 7 hours ago
The English Forest
I have just stumbled upon the original meaning of a modern colloquialism, acker, which is money placed as a bet. In mediaeval forests people could rent an acre of land, which was a source of wealth, hence an acker was wealth. The word has ...
frankbeswick, 5 days ago
Wilding: a review
BSG,selecting animals was a major issue. Bison were not available and anyway were not to my knowledge found in Britain. The wild cattle of the Chillingham herd are descended from the ancient British wild cattle that roamed the wildwood,but they ...
frankbeswick, 5 days ago
Wilding: a review
Derdriu, I replied to your post seven days ago, but my reply is not on screen.It must be some mistake on my part! Yes, Kneppe was a royal property that was passed on. The dawn chorus of birds was a well-known phenomenon, though wildlife ...
frankbeswick, 5 days ago
Wilding: a review
The difficulty in selecting animals is itself a major feat.
blackspanielgallery, 5 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
There is a list of boat lifts on Wikipedia, but there are not many of them.
frankbeswick, 10 days ago
Movie Review: The Silence (2019)
Funny but I just recently watched this movie as well. One part that bugged me was the tunnel to the older woman's house, which was so easy to access although she had tall, locked and alarmed (with bells) fencing around the yard! "A Quiet ...
dustytoes, 11 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
Hello Mira I think that there can't be many boat lifts around like this one. I have never seen one before. It is a marvellous piece of Victorian engineering.
Veronica, 11 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
I've never seen a boat lift before. Only seen sluices. I like the photo with the insect village. The sign is so cute, and so are the sculptures :)
Mira, 11 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
It is quite a spectacular insect village.
Veronica, 11 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
Yes,bee hotels serve solitary bees and certain other species, such s solitary wasps.
frankbeswick, 11 days ago
World Mint Videos
The Anglo-Saxons minted coins. But few survive.
frankbeswick, 12 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
Good morning Derdriu. I think this village is mainly for single occupancy bees and other insects. We need more insects in our world.
Veronica, 12 days ago
World Mint Videos
In the days of William the Conqueror, the Monnaie de Paris was already minting coins for France. He would, coming from Normandy, known of French coinage. Did it have an influence? Well, money already existed in Britain with the Roman coinage, ...
blackspanielgallery, 12 days ago
Anderton Boat Lift and Park, Cheshire
Veronica, Thank you for the tour and the photos. Do you know what wood the nature sculptures are made of? They look like they hold the paint beautifully. What insects would the village particularly have in mind of attracting?
DerdriuMarriner, 12 days ago