Key Lime Cake is delightful to eat in any season. I have a recipe that you will surely enjoy! I usually bake this cake in the summertime, with homemade strawberry lemonade to drink. The sweet strawberry taste balances out with the sour, tangy savoriness of lemon and lime. Of course, you can have any drink you like with a slice of Key Lime Cake.
Key Lime Cake Recipe
This is a recipe for Key Lime Cake. I've been using this recipe for over 7 years, and it's still a hit at family reunions! I'll tell you the ingredients to use for this cake.
This is an easy key lime cake recipe. Preparation and baking time is not long... this can be dessert during the week.
Once you read the ingredients, you'll see how easy it is to make this cake!
Prep time 10 min - Total time 30 min
Ingredients for 10 servings
Ingredients: • 1 box of Lemon Cake Mix • 2 eggs • 1/2 c. of vegetable oil • 1/4 c. of water • 1 box of Key Lime flavored Jello • 2 to 3 circle cake pans • 3 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour • For frosting: • 1 to 2 packs Philadelphia cream cheese • 1 tsp. of key lime juice • 4 c. of white confectioners' sugar • 1/4 c. of melted butter • 1 small package of walnuts (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease cake pans with vegetable oil cooking spray. Dust cake pans with all-purpose flour to prevent sticking.
3) In a large mixing bowl mix together Lemon Cake Mix, vegetable oil, eggs, water, and Key Lime Jello mix. Blend well with a mixer.
4) Pour prepared cake mix in greased cake pans. Place in the oven, and let bake for 30 minutes.
5) In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, key lime juice, and butter. Blend well with a mixer. Set aside.
6) When cake is done baking, let cool for 5-10 minutes.
7) Remove cake from cake pans, and start layering on a plate, spreading frosting in-between layers and around outer part.
8) When done frosting cake, sprinkle walnuts on top (optional).
Other ideas and tips about my Key Lime Cake
- Although you can bake this key lime cake anytime of year, I recommend serving this dessert in the spring and summer.
- You don't have to use walnuts for the cake. The reason I use it is to offset the lemon/lime flavor of the cake.
- You can use this recipe to make a bundt cake, two-layer, or three-layer cake.
- If you're interested in having this cake with a sweet/tangy drink, here's the recipe for strawberry lemonade:
1 package of frozen strawberries
1 or 2 cans of frozen Minute Maid Lemonade
- Take one package of frozen strawberries, thawed, and place in blender.
- Use one or two cans of frozen Minute Maid Lemonade, thawed, and pour in blender.
- Puree mixture until it is well-blended.
- Pour strawberry/lemonade mixture into a pitcher.
- Set in refrigerator to chill.
- That's it! No sugar is required because the strawberries and lemonade contains fructose syrup.