Deep purple amethyst jewelry is found in the thrones and crowns of kings, queens, and crowned heads everywhere. The amethyst gemstone was a favorite of Russia's Catherine The Great. Ancient Egyptian pharaohs were entombed with amethyst stones. Since the times of the Old Testament religious figures have adorned themselves with amethysts. Moses called the stones a "symbol of the spirit of God". Cardinals and Bishops wear amethyst religious jewelry. So if you feel a little majestic at times go ahead and flaunt it with a beautiful piece of amethyst jewelry for your birth month.
Amethyst February Birthstone Jewelry
If you were born in February you may feel like royalty. Rightly so because your birthstone is the amethyst, favorite gemstone of Royalty and Clergy since ancient times.
Amethyst Legend And Lore
The ancient Greek legend of how Dionysus, god of wine and intoxication, explains why the amethyst was believed to guard against drunkenness. According to the legend there was a young maiden named Amethyst who was en route to visit a goddess named Diana. On the way Dionysus captured her and called for two tigers to eat her while he watched and drank wine. Hearing this Diana used her magic to turn Amethyst into a crystal quartz statue so she couldn't be eaten. Dionysus wept tears of wine upon her, staining her purple.
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Physical Properties of Amethyst
- Amethyst is a form of quartz crystal that obtains the purple color from manganese and iron.
- Amethyst measures a hardness of 7 on the Moh's scale, making it suitable for any type of jewelry.
- Stones are found in colors ranging from pale lilac to deep purple, with the darker stones being more valuable.
- Extreme heat will cause an amethyst to turn lighter therefore it is recommended to guard against very hot temperatures.
Time left: 0 minutes
Fixed price: $12.00 Buy It Now
Time left: 2 weeks, 1 day
Current bid: $16.99 Place bid
Time left: 1 day, 1 hour
Fixed price: $9.95 Buy It Now
"The February born shall find
Sincerity and peace of mind,
Freedom from passion and from care,
If they, the amethyst will wear."
~ Author Unknown - Published by Tiffany Jewelry Company 1870
Amethyst Gemstone Mystical Properties
- Amethysts are believed to guard against nightmares when placed under a pillow.
- The gems are thought to be a remedy for addiction or alcoholism.
- They are symbolic of a strong friendship bond.
Where On Earth Do You Find An Amethyst?
Most amethyst mines are in South America. The amethysts found there are typically the largest, however there are also many mines in Africa and the African amethysts are a deeper purple. These gemstones are also found in Canada, Mexico, and Madagascar, among other places.