Best Beginner Electric Guitars: The Fender Squier Stratocaster
The Fender Squier Stratocaster is one of the best beginner electric guitars. Find out more about the brand in this article.
The Fender Squier Stratocaster
If you're a beginner guitar player and want a decent instrument to learn on the Fender Squier Stratocaster is a great choice. When I was learning guitar as a teenager my first real electric guitar was a Fender Squier. Not only is the Squier built well but it's very easy to play with a smooth neck and easy fingering. Playing this instrument makes learning the guitar fun because you're not fighting with the strings like you do on many low quality instruments.
As a guitar teacher I have many students that come to lessons with very poor guitars that they find hard to play which makes learning chords and other techniques difficult. With a Fender Squier you just don't have those problems due to how the instrument is set up. A beginner to the guitar will love how the Squier plays.
Complete Starter Packages For Beginners
Buying a new electric guitar is expensive enough as it is since you also need an amplifier, picks, new strings, a music stand, tuner, and other accessories for the instrument. Fender Musical Instruments offers some since starter packages for beginners that come complete with all the essential gear you need to begin playing the electric guitar. The Squier guitar comes in a package deal as well making it a very affordable option for new players.
One recommendation I have is to buy a hard shell case for the new instrument since I find that the regular gig bags don't offer enough protection for a new instrument. You don't want to damage the Squier because later on down the road it you don't want the instrument you still might be able to sell it to someone.
The Squier Specifications
Squier Stratocasters come with 22 frets and feature one volume and two tone knobs. The guitar has three single-coil pickups and a five position selector switch. The guitar also has a tremolo arm for guitar tricks associated with advanced playing styles. The Squier comes with a maple neck and a rosewood finger board or just a standard maple neck. The tuners are die-cast and they make tuning the instrument a breeze.
Caring For Your New Squier
You need to look after your instrument if you want it to last. My Squier lasted me ten years before I replaced it. Here are some tips to keep the guitar in top shape.
- Change Strings Often - Strings accumulate dirt and debris that can transfer over to your fret board. Sweat and oils from your hands can damage the fingerboard. Aim for changing your strings at least once per month and twice if you play often.
- Wipe Strings After Playing - Keep your strings fresh longer and grime off your fret board by wiping the strings down with a soft cotton cloth after you play.
- Use Guitar Polish Only - Don't use harsh chemicals on your guitar's finish. A bit of guitar polish should be all you need to wipe away grime and keep your finish looking new.
- Cut Strings at Pegs - Cut your strings at the tuning pegs once you put them on. Don't leave long strings hanging since the ends can poke you or someone else.
Beginner Playing Tips
I would like to give you some playing tips that helped me as a guitar student early on in my 25 years of playing the guitar which I hope will help you become a better player.
- Practice Often - Make sure you play your guitar as much as possible. Aim for 30mins at a bare minimum each day to see rapid growth in your playing. An hour or longer is recommended.
- Seek Professional Lessons - You should seek lessons from a guitar teacher in the early stages of your development. A teacher will help you avoid bad habits such as wrong fingering or timing issues that you'll have trouble with if you try to teach yourself.
- Record Yourself - Improve your playing by recording what you are practicing on. This is easy to do on your computer with amp modeling software and a free recording program. You can then listen and pick out your mistakes.
- Play With Others - You'll improve fast by playing with other people which help you develop a sense of timing. For younger students even just performing for their parents can benefit them and bring confidence to their playing.
- Use The Internet - There's plenty of great free guitar lessons on YouTube and other websites that will help you improve you're playing abilities.
How to Play Guitar Books
The Perfect Beginner Instrument
The Squier Stratocaster offers you a lot of value for your money. You get a guitar that is easy to play and features the classic Fender design. It's a good choice for a beginner. In my opinion this guitar is one of the better beginner instruments that won't cost you a fortune to own. I loved playing my Squier Stratocaster and you will too. Now get playing and have fun on your guitar!