Create topic New topics

Forum

Chatter away, friends!

1000 Hits Per Day

JoHarrington

Hi all,

I only started writing on-line in August, so I've been on a massive learning curve ever since.

Something that I keep coming across in various forums and articles are two magic numbers:

* 50 articles on any given site;

* 1000 hits per day.

I know about the 50 articles thing. It seems that every revenue sharing site has a bonus then. On Suite101 it was an extra 10% and on Wizzley I think you go up to 55% on your advertisement cycle.

But what is the 1000 hits a day thing?   People always mention it or are striving for it without qualifying it!  

Noobish minds are curious!

yours

Jo

xxxxx

chefkeem

1000 visitors? Hmm...It means you're getting a lot of traffic if it refers to, let's say, all or one of your wizzles. Otherwise, it depends on the context. I don't think there is such a "magic number". It always depends on what exactly you're doing and what your intentions are.

Achim "Chef Keem" Thiemermann is the co-founder of a pretty cool new platform called...um...er...oh, yeah - Wizzley.com.
JoHarrington

I usually just read it in the context of getting 1000 hits a day on Wizzley, or Suite, or Squidoo, or Hubpages etc. 

So is it just one of those arbitrary numbers, which people use to show they're doing well? 

chefkeem

I'd say so, Jo.  Smile

You are the only one to determine whether you're successful or not. Only you know your goals, and only you can feel satisfaction from various stages of your progress.

Edit: Be wary of people who say you need 1000 hits and they show you how to get them if you send them money.

Achim "Chef Keem" Thiemermann is the co-founder of a pretty cool new platform called...um...er...oh, yeah - Wizzley.com.
Digby_Adams

My goal here and everywhere else is to make money. So I really only worry about conversion rates and money in the bank. For me traffic is meaningless unless they buy stuff or click on an add.

katiem2

Jo, I've made a good amount of money well surpassing my goals and never ever once even considered the number of hits per day, per site or other, I just write what brings itself to me, release it and move on.  I do really well that way.  Another confession, I never look at my analytics or the like, I do like seeing those deposits in my bank account though.

Jo, Your a wonderful writer, I read your articles completely hanging on your every word.  That's good content baby and will do you very well. Just keep on keeping on. Smile

Katie McMurray
Lissie

What they said - my metric is the money coming to my bank account -  don't even care whether its arrived or not - its what I've earned that matters. 

I track where my pages are in the SERPS and if I have traffic when they are bottom of page 1 or 2 I build links to push them to page 1 - but otherwise - I couldn't care less about the traffic. 

I've had plenty of pages that get lots of traffic and make no money (not here, I've learnt). I'm not in this for an ego trip - I don't care whether people read my stuff or not - I just want them to shop! 

Check out my blog at Passive Income Online
TerriRexson

Well I guess 1000 hits a day is used as representative nice round number that indicates you're capable of getting traffic, that you've got the general idea and should be able to build on it. 

I agree that revenue is an important measure, but that can be a disheartening measure when you're just getting started! I made a decision to ignore it for the first 6 months and just treat the work as free training. 

It's definitely the money stats that I track now. 

Digby_Adams

Oh, Lissie, the first thing I care about is whether or not a merchant pays. I've been stiffed too many times to trust them. Amazon isn't by far my best merchant, but at least it pays. Some merchants take 3 or 4 months to pay, which kills cash flow. Then others put up shop on Shareasale right before Christmas and then close in February. This is particularly true of toys and ornaments. So if I've invested a lot of time in a site for them I'm screwed. It goes on and on. So I'm only happy when the money is IN the bank.

Terri, my first month ever in affililate marketing, those little sales stoked me to write so many more. I couldn't believe it was possible to make money sitting in my dorm room.

JoHarrington

Thank you everyone for your insight here. I feel privileged to be learning from you.

Katiem2, you really made me blush there. Thanks. :D

I get precisely what everyone is saying about motivation when starting out.  I'd only just built up a nice selection of articles on Suite101, when Panda smacked it again.  Now I'm starting again here, while still contributing there.

I've never had the major sales or decent money in the bank, because I'm too new. I'm not naive enough to think that any successes happen overnight.  In the meantime, I'm keeping myself motivated by watching my hits.

At first the challenge was to get 50 hits a day, then 100, then 200.  I'm kind of there at the moment, debating whether to up my weekly goal to 300 a day.  It's only a bit of fun to keep me stimulated. If I moved to 300 a day and only got 200, I'd be all disappointed and that does help with motivation.  So I keep it at what I can hopefully achieve.

I'm not going to concern myself with the 1000 hits thing then. Now what I've read all that you had to say, I can see that the Gods of the Internet don't suddenly give  you a Ferrari and your own tropical island at that milestone. 

I did wonder.

Loading ...
Error!