Hi Kathy - I am sure Paula will provide an in-depth explanation including registering an account , etc. I want to just clarify how Adsense works here on Wizzley.
1. people who want to advertise a site/ product request Google to place their ads on Google's search results pages and/or on relevant sites such as Wizzley.
2. the person requesting the ad then pays Google an amount for each click on their ads (pay-per-click) - some clicks cost in excess of $20 per click.
3. if the Google ads are on your site/blog and you are registered with Google (Google Adsense), then Google gives you a share of the revenue from each ad clicked on your site.
4. if you are on a shared site like Wizzley, the Google adsense revenue from your articles is shared between the site owners (Wizzley) and you. Each site has a different way of doing this.
5. the way Wizzley shares Google Adsense revenue is on the basis of impressions (each viewing of your article is an impression). What Wizzley does is that it uses your Google Adsense ID for half the impressions and its own Google Adsense ID for the other half of impressions. When the ads on your article are clicked AND YOUR ADSENSE ID IS SHOWN/USED, you get the appropriate income share directly from Google into your Adsense account.
There is a lot more information that could be given about this topic and Paula's article will go into more detail. For example, there are conditions you have to meet before you get accepted for Google Adsense. I have just tried to stick to the basic concepts.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU CLICK ON THE GOOGLE ADS ON YOUR OWN ARTICLES OR YOUR OWN SITE. GOOGLE WILL BAN YOU FOR LIFE FROM GOOGLE ADSENSE IF YOU DO THIS.