Over ten million kids head off to camp in the summer, looking forward to activities, swimming, campfires, and other traditions of camp life. How can you make sure your child is having the time of their life there? Why not send them a cute summer camp care package?
How To Create A Summer Camp Care Package
Summer camp is every kid's favorite thing to do in the summer. But sometimes it's lonely! Here's how to create a little summer camp care package to keep up their spirits high!
Show Them Love
Whether your child is going to Boy Scout Camp, art camp, or sports camp, chances are that he’ll start to miss home after a while. This is the perfect time to send a piece of home to camp.
You can buy pre-made care packages, or you can create your own summer camp survival kit for your child. This way, you can include all his favorite treats, personalize the package, and save money!
Do your kids attend summer camp?
Check With The Camp
Sending a package to your child at overnight camp is an incredible thinking of you gift. Just remember that there, they will be provided with all the food and activities they need to stay busy, entertained, and hopefully happy, the entire time.
If you would like to send a package, check with the camp ahead of time and see if they have a list of preferred items that you send – or that you do not send! For instance, some camps don’t like you to send food.
Why? It’s not because they want your child to starve, certainly. It’s because, depending on where the camp is, food can attract critters and flies – or bears.
Whatever it attracts, though, is not something you want your child to bunk with. So, be sure to check about any prohibited items.
What NOT to Pack
Before we talk about what to put into a summer camp care package, here are a few more items you may want to keep out:
- Money. Unless there is a vending machine for which they need a few quarters, don’t send cash or checks. Some camps have camper accounts that you can deposit money into.
- Photos from home. This may surprise some parents, but if your kid is homesick, this will make it worse. If he’s not homesick and he’s older, he may think its lame. In either case, save the photos for when he comes back home. Focus on items that will ensure he’s active and having fun.
- Cell phone, iPods, handheld games. Often, the point of summer camp is to unplug and get active. Don’t send electronics; not only is this expensive for you, it robs your child of the fun of going outside, making up games, and doing cheesy camp activities!
Image by vancouverfilmschool on Flickr
What to Include
So what can you include? This varies camp by camp, but here are some general ideas to get you started:
- A Frisbee.
- Sponge balls, like Nerf.
- Velcro ball and mitts.
- Hackey sacks.
- Mad Libs.
- Deck of cards or UNO game.
- Coloring book and crayons for younger child or paper and markers/colored pencils for older child.
- A new novel or picture book.
- Disposable camera.
- Sunscreen or bug spray.
- A hat.
- A pillow pet. Even older kids like their stuffed animals.
- Water bottle. Try to put his name somewhere on it, even if it is just on a piece of tape.
- Temporary tattoo markers (check before you send this one – it could be against the rules to tattoo yourself at a particular summer camp!)
- Battery operated nightlight for younger children. The camp may already provide nightlights; if not, this might be very welcome by a child in an unfamiliar place.
Gifts by All About Gifts & Baskets
DIY Care Package?
Here's what to include!
|Camp Daze Mad Libs|
Complete page after page of camp theme stories by supplying the parts of speech indicated, then read the entirely silly story back and roar with laughter! Rememberoor prepare yo...
|3 Pack - Must Have Item! Children's Emergency Rain Poncho Coat Rainwear w/ Hood & Sleeve - Yellow|
Most of us don't think far enough ahead, especially if we trust our weatherperson. Dropping the kids off at school, out hiking, hunting, fishing or running we normally are not p...Only $7.99
|O2COOL 2059 Squeeze Breeze Fan|
The Squeeze Breeze misting fan is great for pools, beaches, camping, the gym, outdoor sports, and work. It provides a refreshing mist with the pump action spray bottle, has soft...
Let Them Enjoy
Summer camp is a rite of passage for many kids; when they get back home, they have tons of stories to tell, but while they are away, they may be homesick.
Let them know you’re thinking of them and encourage them to have a great time with a thoughtful gift basket or care package.