1. Super storm Sandy has been labeled by meteorologist as the worse storm of the 21st Century. The largest tropical storm in the Atlantic and early 1000 miles wide across. The winds gusting up to 90 mph as it hit the Atlantic Coast.
2. Hurricane Sandy is the tenth hurricane of the 2012 season.
3. Nicknames of this disastrous storm: "Frankenstorm," "Blizzacane," "Snor-eastercane," and "Superstorm Sandy." "Post Tropical Cyclone Sandy" is the official name from the National Hurricane Center.
4. The surge of water from Hurricane Sandy, hit Battery Park at 13.88 feet on Monday, October 29, 2012. This broke the record of 10.02 feet water level in 1960, set by Hurricane Donna.
A record of a 32.5-foot wave, measured by a buoy near the New York Harbor, this was 6.5 feet taller than Hurricane Irene in 2011.
5. Thousands left homeless in the United States on the East Coast. Millions of residents are without power late October to the early week of November 2012.
6. About 150 died from this horrific storm.
7. Total storm damage is in the billions of dollars. It is estimated to be as much as $30 billion in lost businesses and $20 billion in residential property damage.
8. The damage to the East Coast far exceeds the damage cost wise compared to Hurricane Katrina.
9. For the first time in 108-year-history of the New York subway system, the transit system had to shut down due to flooding.
10. The New York Stock Exchange closed their doors for two straight days with no trading. The last time this happened was 1888 for weather related reasons.