Indian Chole Recipe | Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans)
Tasty Recipe for Chole, and Indian Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans) Dish.
A Primer on Chick Peas
Most people in India are vegetarian. Lentils, other beans, and nuts are therefore common protein sources in Indian food. Here, I am showing a recipe for chole, which is an Indian dish made with the legume commonly known as chick peas or garbanzo beans.
India is the largest producer of chick peas in the world. Chick peas are excellent sources of protein, fiber, folate, and manganese. They are also good sources of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and copper. Garbanzo beans are also commonly used in certain middle-eastern cuisine, such as hummus and falafel.
Indian Chole Recipe Ingredients
Some Ingredients Available at Indian Grocery Stores or Online
7 Roma tomatoes
8-9 cloves of garlic, (about 2/3 of a bulb), peeled
8 cups of canned garbanzo beans, (chick peas) drained and washed (or if you start with dry garbanzo beans, then soak them in water overnight, and cook them in a pressure cooker prior to starting the rest of the recipe)
one large red onion - half finely diced, half coarsely sliced and separated
1 bunch cilantro, washed - half whole and half chopped
1/3 cup of canola oil
1 tablespoon of canola oil
1 inch fresh grated ginger (or pre-grated and frozen into ice-cube trays - 1 cube)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Indian Store Ingredients:
1½ tsp cumin
½ tsp hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp chili powder
1½ tsp chole masala
1½ tsp turmeric
If you do not have easy access to an Indian grocery store, you can get these items here:
Indian Spices & Ingredients
|Indian Spice Cumin Seeds (White Zeera) 3.5oz-|
Cumin Seeds. Cumin is the seed of a small umbelliferous plant. The seeds come as paired or separate carpels, and are 3-6mm (1/8-1/4 in) long. They have a striped pattern of ...
|LG Hing (Asafoetida) 100g (3.5oz)|
This authentic Asafoetida, or Indian Hing, is very popular throughout the world. Use sparingly, as this spice has a strong flavor and aroma. Asafoetida makes Indian and other ...
|Indian Spice Deep Chili Powder Red (Regular) 7oz-|
Chili Powder Red (Regular) Fine. Chile pepper - Chili pepper - Chilli pepper . Dried chilies can be used whole in curries and almost any other kind of slow-cooked liquid, as ...
|Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala 100g|
Badshah Punjabi Chole Masala 100gOnly $9.99
|Laxmi Turmeric Powder 200g|
Laxmi Turmeric powder is used primarily in the preparation of many Indian and oriental dishes.
Chole Cooking Instructions
1. Place tomatoes into a heated pan (high or medium-high heat), and drizzle with a tablespoon of canola oil.
2. Let tomatoes blacken, turn tomatoes for even blackening on all sides.
3. When tomatoes are evenly roasted, add garlic and coarsely sliced onion, and continue to heat until the onions and garlic have browned, then shut off heat.
4. Put these roasted ingredients into the blender, tomatoes first. Add half bunch cilantro.
5. Blend on low setting for a few seconds, then high setting until you see an even texture. I use the Ninja professional blender.
6. Prepare tadka.
Ninja Professional Blender
|Ninja Blender NJ600 XL - Black|
In sociology, there is the concept known as "defining the context of a situation." It deals with how humans blend and integrate (or not) in societies or social situations. ...
Instructions for Tadka
Tadka is the general term for the mixture of spices that gives most Indian dishes their characteristic flavor.
1. Pour 1/3 cup canola oil into a 6 quart pot and place on medium-high heat.
2. After giving the oil a few minutes to heat up, add cumin seeds, and allow them to brown for only a few seconds, then shut off the heat. Keeping the heat too long here will burn the cumin seeds.
3. Add finely diced onion. Turn the heat back on medium-high heat, and stir periodically as you roast the onion.
4. Add turmeric, hing, chili powder, and chole masala. Allow this mixture to evenly brown, stirring continuously for a few seconds.
5. Add ginger, then pour in the tomato mixture from the blender.
6. Reduce heat to medium, and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Add salt and sugar.
Now Combine the Chole With the Tadka
1. Add the chick peas to the pot, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, then on low heat for another 20 minutes.
2. Turn off heat, and garnish with the half bunch of chopped cilantro.
3. Serve with basmati rice. This dish serves 8-10 people.
4. You can also squeeze some lemon juice over the dish before serving.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
|Gefen Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas) 16 Oz. Pack Of 3.|
Product of USA. Pack of 3. Gefen Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas). Cooking Directions Quick Soak: Place beans in large deep pot. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to...Only $10.99
|Laxmi Kabuli Chana White Chickpeas - Whole Chana, 2 Pound Bag|
Cooking for friends or family? Delight their taste buds with our Laxmi Kabuli Chana! Our variety of authentic Indian spices and cooking ingredients are just what you need to cre...Only $4.47
|Arora Creations USDA-Organic PUNJABI CHHOLE CHICK PEAS Indian Spice Blend 0.8oz (6 Pack) (7 Flavo...|
Arora Creations comes in 7 delicious flavors, choose your favorite from the drop-down menu in upper-right corner - Green Veggie, Chicken Tikka Masala, Rajmah Kidney Beans, Goan ...