Margin calls allow businesses to create, cut positions
Before All Is Lost with Robert Redford and A Most Violent Year with Jessica Chastain, the high finance film Margin Call with Simon Baker acquaints audiences of 2011 onward with the first in director/producer/writer JC Chandor’s triple drama movie crown. It begins with human resources staffers Heather Burke (Ashley Williams) and Lauren Bratberg (Susan Blackwell) carrying out in one building what their firm is having done on all their business premises worldwide:
• firing 80% of employees per floor; and
• retaining 4 of every 7 workers per floor.
Nineteen-year tenured, risk management head Eric Dale (Stanley Tucci) counts among “Looking Ahead” casualties facing:
• building, e-mail, mobile, server exclusion;
• health/options continuance; and
• 6-month severance at half-salary.