Venice brims with local artists, musicians, and storytellers
Venetian Curiosities assumes, as a 2012 release the second niche in the book and CD series by Donna Leon, world-renowned creator of the Guido Brunetti mystery novels, on seventeenth- and eighteenth-century creations and inventions contemporaneous with Baroque music. It therefore belongs amid releases of:
• Title #1, Handel’s Bestiary in 2011; and
• Title #3, Gondola in 2013.
The first and third publications respectively contain performances of:
• 12 aria by George Frideric Handel (February 23, 1685 – April 14, 1759); and
• Venice’s hallmark folk music, the barcarole, connected with Venice’s signature water transport, the gondola.
The third publication contrastingly details:
• the folklore of Venice’s beloved city-specific tales; and
• the music of Antonio Lucio Vivaldi (March 4, 1678 – July 28, 1741).