Questions for students to think about while watching the first section of the movie:
- What do you think about Vivian, Kit, Edward and Phil?
- What information do you use to determine what you think about them?
- How do each of these characters feel about themselves?
STOP THE MOVIE AT 40 MINUTES - discuss their answers to the questions above.
Resume watching the movie and have students consider the following questions while watching:
- Would Mr Morrison and his grandson have been so respectful toward Vivian if she was still wearing her own clothes?
- Did she change her personality when she changed her clothes?
- What difference do the clothes make? Why does Vivian say that in her own clothes she can handle men like Phil better than in the new clothes?
- Why was she prepared to leave Edward without taking the money?
- How are Vivian and Edward beginning to change?
STOP THE MOVIE AT 1:34 - discuss the students' answers to the questions above.
Resume the movie at 1:36 (in order to skip over the adult scene) and provide students with the following questions:
- How does Vivian feel toward herself? Could she go back to dressing as she did at the beginning of the film?
- Why did Vivian not agree to stay that last night with Edward? How hard was it for her to refuse? Where did she get the strength to refuse?
STOP THE MOVIE AT 1:53:30 - discuss the questions above.
Resume the movie to the end and then discuss the following questions:
- What is the importance of first impressions in our interactions with other people?
- What part does clothing, hair style and make-up play in first impressions?
- Everyone is different, so different people want to present themselves in different ways. How can we know if the impression we want to make is the impression other people actually get of us?