Did you know you can make potatoes healthier? Cooking and then cooling them can lower their glycemic index. That means they'll be digested more slowly. That keeps you fuller and doesn't spike your blood sugar. Twice-cooking potatoes is not twice the work. The World's Easiest Method takes about two minutes of hands-on prep time.
The World's Easiest Twice-Cooked Potatoes
The World's Easiest Twice-Cooked Potatoes. Cooking and cooling a potato can reduce its glycemic index. Here's the fastest and easiest way to twice cook potatoes for better health.
Step One: Cook the potatoes in the microwave
The Fasta Pasta is the easiest way to cook potatoes, but you can also use a microwaveable bowl.
- Plop four medium sized potatoes into your Fasta Pasta (see below) or into a microwaveable bowl. I buy organic potatoes with smooth, clean skins and don't even rinse them.
- Fill the water to the top line of your Fasta Pasta. If you're using a bowl, make sure the water covers the potatoes. Leave enough space so the water won't boil over.
- Microwave for about 18 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Test for doneness: If you stick a fork in the potato and don't strike anything hard in the middle, it's done. To be certain, cut one of the potatoes in half. You'll see if the middle is still uncooked
The Fasta Pasta
|Fasta Pasta The Microwave Cooker|
Fasta Pasta Microwave Cooker Cooking pasta the conventional way requires you to boil water, add your pasta, then frequently stirring and sampling to determine when it is done. F...Only $17.99
Step Two: Cool the potatoes
In the fridge. This is a very easy step. I don't even bother covering them.
Step Three will be to prepare the potatoes. Here are two of the quickest, easiest and least messy methods.
Step Three: Prepare the potatoes (HOT)
World's Easiest "Smashed" Potatoes
- Set down a piece of aluminum foil.
- Put your potatoes on it.
- Smush them down with your hand.
- Optional: Top with cheese, butter, salt, pepper or any combination thereof.
- Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes.
Step Three: Prepare the potatoes (COLD)
World's Easiest Potato Salad
- For each potato you wish to serve, add two teaspoons olive oil and two teaspoons vinegar to a bowl
- Mix them together and add a little salt
- Put the potatoes in the bowl and cut them up with a knife and fork
- Toss the potatoes
- Sprinkle with chives or parsley if desired
I hope you enjoy your super-easy, super-fast potatoes. If you want more of the World's Easiest Recipes, check out my blog because I am...
A Word About Potatoes and the Glycemic Index
The Glycemic Index (GI) is an indication of how rapidly a food is converted into blood sugar. Potatoes have a fairly high GI, but you can lower them by cooking them and then cooling them.
According to one study, GI is reduced between 0% and 50% when potatoes are boiled, cooled and then reheated. Another study compared various methods of cooking sweet potatoes and concluded that boiling was the most healthful method with regard to the glycemic index.
Eating boiled potatoes cold and seasoned with vinegar is likely the most healthful way of consuming potatoes according to this study.