The two fungi that you see above look rather conventional, but they differ.The red spotty one is from the genus Amanita. All are characterized by a spotty top and white gills underneath. They are poisonous to varying degrees. One,Caesar's mushroom that grows in Alpine forests, is prized as a delicacy, but others range from the one whose poison breaks down when cooking, through to Death Cap. You need to avoid eating any one of this genus of fungi. Look, enjoy the view, but don't eat-ever. Strangely the name Fly Agaric is a misnomer, as it is not a member of the genus Agaricus, but of the genus Amanita
Yet you also see a bolete. Boleti are very different from Amanitas,and generally have a short, stubby stem [stipe.] Underneath they are significantly different from other fungi, for they often though not always have a sponge-like appearance rather than gills. Most boleti are edible, but not all are palatable. The cep [penny bun] is a delicacy, but others include peppery bolete [too fierce] and Satan bolete, whose name suggests that it is somewhat antisocial, as it is mildly poisonous. But all poisonous boletes have red somewhere on the stipe. However, boletes are not always worth picking. Once at Alderley Edge I spotted a very large specimen and investigated, only to find that the maggots had reached it first and it was not worth picking.
Another fungus type unpopular with foresters and arborists is Honey Fungus. This fungus was a few years ago subject to a report from North America, I am unsure whether it was the United States or Canada, where an arborist had discovered a patch of honey fungus so large that it was deemed the largest living creature on the planet. Yet foresters dread its presence, as its dark, bootlace-like hyphae ingest the wood of living trees and render them useless for forestry purposes.It is edible, but beware, for some people suffer an allergic reaction to it. I have never heard of a fatal reaction, but I avoid eating it, sweet though it is said to be.
The wood mushroom,Agaricus silvicola, looks like the mushroom you buy from the shops, as it is a member of the Agaric genus, but it will give you stomach ache. One sign that you have picked a poisonous agaric is that its flesh goes yellow when picked.