1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C.; Gas Mark 5).
2. Select 12 of the largest leaves from bunch of kale and coarsely chop the remaining leaves.
- Place only leaves in steamer basket.
3. Add 1/2 cup water to large pot and set steamer basket with kale leaves inside.
- Cover and steam over high heat until leaves are bright green, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. While kale is steaming:
- In medium bowl, combine ground turkey, cooked barley, garlic, chopped kale, lemon zest, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes to blend well together.
- Stir in seasonings (marjoram, paprika, white pepper, sea salt).
5. Remove steamer pot from burner as soon as kale turns color to avoid excessive wilting.
- Set leaves on flat surface.
- Deposit 2 Tablespoons of filling on each leaf.
Suggestion: If any filling is left over, form into patty to be baked in oven with kale rolls or sauté for munching while recipe bakes.
- Fold leaf’s top and bottom first over filling, and then fold sides.
6. Briefly place large baking pan (9×13) in oven to warm.
- Remove and grease with butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
7. Place rolls with seam-side down in pan.
- Splash each roll with 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle each roll with shredded cheese and bake for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and transfer to serving platter.