1. Bring oatmeal and liquid (water or other options) to a boil over medium-to-high heat; stir constantly.
2. Then reduce heat to medium, add 2 Tablespoons of lard, and simmer, while stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes.
3. Add salt and cinnamon and continue simmering for about 15 more minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Coincident with this simmering of the porridge:
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 Tablespoons of lard and fry onion choppings.
- Adjust heat as onions soften and turn translucent.
5. The porridge and the onions should finish at about the same time.
6. Transfer oatmeal to a large serving bowl and onions to small serving bowl.
- Or transfer to individual plates.
7. Sprinkle with cocoa powder, according to taste (usually 1 or more Tablespoons).
Makes 6 servings.