Earth Sun Moon Trading Company’s enticing motto asserts: “T shirts for Nature Lovers, by Nature Lovers.”
Nathan Depew founded his nature-themed apparel company in 1996 in Grove City, Pennsylvania. Established as a borough in southeastern Mercer County in northwestern Pennsylvania in 1883, Grove City is located about 60 miles (97 kilometers) north of Pennsylvania’s “Steel City,” Pittsburgh. At the 2010 census, Grove City’s population was tallied at 8,322.
In addition to Earth Sun Moon Trading Company, Grove City is home to:
• Grove City College, established in 1876, as a non-denominational Christian liberal arts college based on faith and freedom;
• Grove City Premium Outlets, one of the largest outlet malls in the United States, with 130 stores, and with customers from all over the United States and Canada; with a few exceptions, wearing apparel generally is nontaxable in Pennsylvania.
A convert to Catholicism, Nathan also is a Trustee of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology in Steubenville, southeastern Ohio, and credits the teachings of Pope John Paul II (May 18, 1920 – April 2, 2005) as influencing his commitment to modeling human dignity in the workplace.
The four-fold caring mission statement of Earth Sun Moon Trading Company emphasizes goodness:
1. goodness toward customers;
2. goodness toward fellow employees, business associates, and the community;
3. goodness in design and production of products, all done in Grove City; and
4. goodness to the earth via:
• reduction of consumption of natural resources, and
• suppliers, such as for blank apparels, from reputable companies esteemed for their commitment to fair trade and environmentally sustainable business practices, as exemplified by Montreal, Canada's Gildan Activewear.