Fashion Advice for Tall Women
Fashion advice for the tall women who want to accentuate their height and those that want to detract from it.
Should Tall Women Play it Up or Play it Down?
When looking around a typical store there are all kinds of clothing options for Plus Size and Petite women. Where are the Tall Woman sections of the store? You won't find many unless you are in a store specifically for Tall Women and there are not too many of them. The average woman is 5'4” tall. Most clothes are made to fit the average woman. Finding clothes that fit you correctly can be a task.
If you are like me you have to try on everything before you purchase it. I am 5 ft. 9 inches and I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me like they are supposed to. Many of my pants end up being way to short after washing them a couple of times and shirt sleeve lengths start climbing up my arm. They start off just on the edge of being too short to start with. Then after washing it shrinks them to being too short. When I find a good fit that lasts through a few washes I look so much better and feel better when wearing it.
Some of us feel more comfortable showing off our height while some of us prefer to tone it down a little bit. There are options in clothing for both. It is nothing wrong with being tall. Feel good about it and wear it well with some of these tips. However, there may be times when you want to take away from it and there are ways to dress for that as well.
Tall Women Who Want to Play it Up
Women that are tall and like showing off their height can wear many different styles that will play it up.
- Solid colors from head to toe is a good way to show off your height. Wearing a solid color from head to toe creates an elongated look and has no breaking point. A solid colored dress is a good example of how you can look tall or taller. Stay with the same colored belt if you want to look tall. Use a different colored belt if you want to create a breaking point which will detract from your height. It won't take away much with the solid color dress but it will break it up enough to move the eye to your belt instead of a continuous color.
- Vertical stripes will give the illusion of looking taller.
- Long skirts and long dresses will make you look tall or taller.
- High heels will obviously add to your height with a little boost of confidence as well.
- Long scarves and long necklaces will give you a longer look.
- Skinny jeans will make your legs super long. The darker the jeans the longer your legs will look. Lighter colors will make you look shorter.
Tall Women Who Want to Play it Down
For those of you that want to play down your height there are ways to do that as well.
- Horizontal lines tend to break up a look and play down your height. Look at the same model in both a solid colored blue sweater and then in a blue striped sweater. The stripes detract from her long torso area.
- Wide belts will take away from your height if in a different color than your outfit. Not everyone can wear belts. Tall women have that advantage.
- Prints in general will take away from your height. Anything that breaks up a line of continuing color will work.
- Pants with cuffs tend to make you look shorter.
- Flat shoes will keep from adding any height.
- Wearing separates will break up your look too. Especially if done with the top being a different color than the pants.
The Fashion 411 For Tall Women
Wear it Well and Be Confident
There are a lot of things that tall women can wear that shorter women cannot. Belts would be one that look better on a taller woman. Stripes is another. Especially horizontal stripes.
High wasted style clothes make a tall person look more proportional. It provides more of an hour glass look for you. Wide legged pants will also make things look more in proportion.
When something does not fit properly it can make you wish you were shorter. Nothing is worse than a pair of high water pants. Tall women usually need a 34”-36” inseam. It is hard to find at times. When you do it feels so good to sport those pants around.
Regardless of what you wear, make sure it fits properly. This will give you the confidence you need to be happy with your height.