We all enjoy a hot breakfast. One of the challenging aspects of cooking breakfast is the breakfast potato. Fast food places take frozen breaded slabs of potatoes and deep fry them. Restaurants will grab a handful of prepared hash browns and toss them on the griddle. When I first started to cook, I tried to master the breakfast potato. In typical ManCave style, I failed miserably. I discovered it is hard to go from a raw potato to well-cooked hash browns. Eventually, I learned how to make breakfast potatoes perfectly every time.
How to make breakfast potatoes – The one cup breakfast
Learn how to make breakfast potatoes in less than 5 minutes. Fresh, hot and almost no cleanup. Stop eating your breakfast from a bag and try the one cup breakfast.
The Secret Revealed
How to Make Breakfast Potatoes Perfectly
- Step 1 - Cut fresh potatoes into cubes.
- Step 2 - Place potato cubes in a microwave-safe bowl. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the bowl.
- Step 3 - Cook in microwave for 2 minutes. Times may need to be adjusted depending on the microwave and the amount of potatoes.
- Step 4 - Lightly sprinkle seasoning on top of the potatoes. Cook for another 15-20 seconds.
- Step 5 - Taste one potato cube. It should be soft, not crunchy. If crunchy, cook for another 10-15 seconds. At this point, you can serve the breakfast potatoes.
You are finished!
As a final touch, you can fry the potatoes in a skillet or bake the potatoes in the oven with a small amount of oil to give the potatoes a crispy coating.
The One Cup Breakfast Recipe
Prep time 2 min - Total time 5 min
Ingredients for 1 serving
1 or 2 small potatoes cut into cubes • 2 Heat & Serve sausage links cut into cubes • 1 Large egg • 1 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese • Dash of seasoning (choose your favorite)
Fill a coffee cup halfway with potato cubes. Add 1 tablespoon of water. Heat in microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave.
Mix in cut sausage links and seasonings. Put 1 egg on top. Important: Do not mix in egg. Cook in microwave for 30 - 45 seconds.
Remove from microwave. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Cook in microwave for 30 seconds.
The One Cup Breakfast. Easy, simple, hot and delicious. Cleanup is a breeze. Can be made at home, at work or wherever there is a microwave and a coffee cup. I have even made this recipe in a hotel room.
Extensions to the Perfect Breakfast Potato Method
Besides making great breakfast potatoes, the cooked potato cubes can be used in many other ways and in other recipes. Here are few suggestions:
- We love our French fries. Place a large batch of cooked potato cubes on flat baking pan. Drizzle on olive oil. (other oils work also) Place in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 15-30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle on favorite seasonings and allow to cool. Serve in place of French fries.
- Traditionally you do not find many leafy salads that include potatoes. Lightly coat the potato cubes with hot sauce. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes. Add to your favorite salad recipe. Skip the high gluten croutons and get your carbohydrates from the potato cubes.
- Use a batch of potato cubes to make a cheesy potato casserole. Since the cubes are already cooked you can have the cheesy potato casserole done in less than 15 minutes.
Choosing the Right Potato
It does make a difference...
Good cooks will tell you that different varieties of potatoes cook and bake differently. Over the years I have found that certain potatoes create better breakfast potato cubes. Two potato varieties stand out as the best: White and Yukon Gold. Most other varieties have a slightly darker color and tend to cook much softer.
Some Potato Humor
|niceeshop(TM) High Quality Hot Sale Stainless Steel Potato Chip Cutter Vegetable Slicer Kitchen C...|
Creative classics design,you can make your own potato chip with this potato slicer,enjoy happy diy feeling with your family,more clear and quick.Sturdy stainless-steel body and ...