Do you have any old gloves or mittens that need a new lease on life (in other words, that need to be recycled)? How about a lonely sock that's lost its mate in the laundry? I hate when that happens, but here's a silver lining:
All of these are great starters for making a hand puppet.
Here's what else you will need:
- Google eyes (available at craft stores) or felt to make your own (Watch the Jim Henson video below for pop eye ideas)
- Red or pink felt for the mouth, cut to shape (optional, though fun to glue in for effect)
- Cardboard cut in a mouth shape
- Something to make hair -- yarn, carded wool, cotton balls, feathers, fake fur, etc.
- Permanent marker for making details
- Cloth or felt for clothing (optional)
Position the cardboard inside the sock near the toe. Add some eyes and hair. Use your marker to add a nose or other details. Don't forget a silly voice!
The mitten can be used much like a sock, but if you are using a glove, cut off the fingers (and use them later for finger puppets) and sew the top up. Add the eyes, nose, and hair in the same way as above.
Deciding on the personality of your puppets is part of the fun and will determine the type of eyes, nose, and hair you will add.