Movie Review: Tank Girl (1995)

by StevenHelmer

A review of the 1995 action/comedy starring Lori Petty and Malcolm McDowell.

Synopsis: In the year 2033, the Earth is a desert wasteland following a collision with a comet and 95 percent of the world's water supply is under the control of a tyrannical corporation that is determined to gain control of the remaining 5 percent by any means possible. The only person standing in their way is a tank-driving hero from Australia.

Who's In It?


It had been pretty much forever since I had seen this movie. So, when I discovered it on Netflix a few days ago, I decided to take the time to watch it again over a couple of my lunch hours. And, as it turns out, this movie was as good as I remembered it being.

The thing I like about this movie is it manages to be funny while, at the same time, is actually a pretty decent action movie. Lori Petty's character is facing off against a well-armed army and has everything working against her from almost the very beginning. The huge odds and the unlikely anti-heroes that end up helping her out along the way keep things from becoming too predictable and, at very least, keep the viewer entertained.

Another thing I found I appreciated about this film is the writers didn't assume everyone watching it had actually read the comic strip it was based off of. This is actually a pet peeve of mine when it comes to other comic strip-inspired movies because, more often than not, I spend most of my time trying to figure out what exactly is happening. While I'm sure there were still some things left out, this movie does a good job of at least summarizing the basics, including who the major characters are and what happened up until the point the film started.

Probably my only real complaint about this movie were the numerous crude sexual references throughout. This, in itself, isn't something I normally care all that much about. However, after a while, they did seem to get a bit repetitive and just weren't as entertaining as they probably were meant to be. In other words, the writers could have cut quite a few of them out without having any real impact on the plot or overall entertainment value of the movie

Tank Girl (Collector's Edition) [Bluray/DVD Combo] [Blu-ray]

The year’s 2033 and since a humongous meteor hit earth, the world just hasn’t been the same. No movies, no cable television, no water! A mega-villain, Kesslee (Malcolm McDowell)...

View on Amazon

Final Opinion

This isn't a movie that is going to be mistaken for an Oscar winner. However, it does manage to be very entertaining, which is pretty much the only thing I ask for when I watch movies. Even if you haven't read the comic strip it is based off of, it is worth taking the time to watch it.

My Grade: B

More by This Writer

A Messy House is a Home

In this companion book to "Love Poems for My Wife," Steven Helmer uses poetry to express his feelings about being a husband, a parent and about life in general.

View on Amazon

The Lonely, Shallow Grave

Beaver Dam, WI author Steven Helmer (“Love Poems for My Wife” and “Murder by Chili”) shows off his darker side with this compilation of short stories focusing on frustration, st...

View on Amazon

Updated: 05/24/2017, StevenHelmer
Thank you! Would you like to post a comment now?


Only logged-in users are allowed to comment. Login

You might also like

Movie Review: Babe (1995)

A review of the 1995 family movie starring James Cromwell and Christine Cavan...

Movie Review: First Knight (1995)

A review of the 1995 movie starring Richard Gere and Sean Connery.

Movie Review: GoldenEye (1995)

A review of the 1995 James Bond film starring Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean.

Disclosure: This page generates income for authors based on affiliate relationships with our partners, including Amazon, Google and others.
Loading ...