BirdLife International 2012. Colibri thalassinus. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. <www.iucnredlist.org>.
- Available at: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/106001847/0
BirdLife International 2012. Selasphorus rufus. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. <www.iucnredlist.org>.
- Available at: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/106002116/0
Christman, Steve. “Phlox drummondii.” Floridata > Plant Profile List. Updated 5/11/05. Floridata.com: Jack Scheper. Web. www.floridata.com
- Available at: http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/phlo_dru.cfm
Coats, Alice M. The Plant Hunters: Being a History of the Horticultural Pioneers, their Quests and their Discoveries, from the Renaissance to the Twentieth Century. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1969.
Dole, Claire Hagen. "Phlox: A Butterfly and Moth Magnet." Butterfly Gardeners' Quarterly: A Newsletter for Gardeners and Butterfly Enthuasiasts. Summer 2000. Last updated December 12, 2000.
- Available at: http://butterflywebsite.com/articles/bgq/Phlox.htm
"Entrance to the Botanic Garden, Manchester." The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction, Vol. XIX, No. 536 (Saturday, March 23, 1832): 129-130.
"Garden Flora: Plate 798. Annual Phloxes (With a Coloured Plate of Phlox Drummondi Vars.)." The Garden: An Illustrated Weekly Journal of Horticulture in All Its Branches. Volume XXXIX (March 28, 1891): 292-293.
- Available via Biodiversity Heritage Library at: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/82642
“Green Violetear Colibri thalassinus.” South Dakota Birds and Birding > Species. Terry L. Sohl. Web. sdakotabirds.com
- Available at: http://sdakotabirds.com/species/green_violetear_info.htm
Hemsley, W. Botting. "The History of the Botanical Magazine 1787-1904." Pages pp. v-lxiii. In: W. Botting Hemsley, A New and Complete Index to Curtis's Botanical Magazine from its Commencement in 1787 to the End of 1904, Including the First, Second, and Third Series; To Which Is Prefixed a History of the Magazine. Lovell Reeve & Co., 1906.
Hooker, William Joseph (Sir). "Phlox Drummondii. Mr. Drummond's Phlox." Botanical Magazine, Volume 62 [new series volume 9] (October 1, 1835): plate 3441.
"Hummingbird gardening tips for your region." BirdWatcher's Digest.com > Learn > Hummingbirds. Bird Watcher's Digest. Web. www.birdwatchersdigest.com
- Available at: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/hummingbirds/gardening.php
Kelly, James P. “Astylis Phlox: The relation of this variation of Phlox Drmmondii to the large eyed flower.” Journal of Heredity, Vol. 13, Issue 8 (August 1922): 339-342.
Kelly, J.P. "Cultivated varieties of Phlox Drummondii." Journal of the New York Botanical Garden, Vol. 16, No. 189 (September 1915): 179-191.
Kelly, James P. "The 'Eye' of Phlox." Journal of Heredity, Vol. 25, Issue 5 (May 1934): 183-186.
Kelly, James P. “Fasciation in Phlox Drummondii: The origin and nature of fasciation in Phlox.” Journal of Heredity, Vol. 18, Issue 7 (July 1927): 323-327.
Kelly, James P. "A Genetical Study of Flower Form and Flower Color in Phlox Drummondii." Genetics, Vol. 5 (March 1920): 189-248.
Kelly, James P. “Hoodedness in Phlox.” Journal of Heredity, Vol. 36, Issue 1 (January 1945): 25-28.
Kelly, James P. Inheritance in Phlox drummondii. M.A. Thesis. New York: Columbia University, 1916.
Mills, Colin. "Phlox drummondii Hook." Hortus Camdenensis > Plants in the Hortus > Herbaceous Plants > Annuals and Biennials. February 6, 2009. Last Updated July 29, 2010. Colin Mills. Web. www.hortuscamden.com
- Available at: http://hortuscamden.com/plants/view/phlox-drummondii-hook
Oliver, F.W., ed. Makers of British Botany: A Collection of Biographies by Living Botanists. Cambridge, University Press, 1913.
- Available via Internet Archive at: http://archive.org/details/makersofbritishb00oliv
"On bedding plants by a nobleman's flower near London." The Floricultural Cabinet and Florist's Magazine, Vol. 18 (June 1850): 130-133.
- Available via Internet Archive at: https://archive.org/details/floriculturalcab18flor
Ortho's All About Attracting Hummingbirds and Butterflies. Des Moines, IA: Meredith Books, 2001.
"Phlox Drummondii. Hook. Var. Plures (Phlox de Drummond." Annales de la Societe Royale d'Agriculture et de Botanique de Gand, Journal d'Horticulture, Volume 4 (1848): 337-338.
- Available via HathiTrust at: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000496805
"Phlox Drummondii. (Mr. Drummond's Lichnidea)." Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants. Volume the Second: 221. London: Orr and Smith, MDCCCXXXVI (1836).
- Available via Internet Archive at: http://archive.org/details/paxtonsmagazineo02paxt
"Phlox Drummondii. Mr. Drummond's Phlox." Curtis's Botanical Magazine; Or, Flower Garden Displayed: In which the most Ornamental Foreign Plants cultivated in the Open Ground, the Green-House, and the Stove, are accurately represented and coloured. The Descriptions by William Jackson Hooker. Vol. IX New Series (or Volume LXII of the whole Work). London: Edward Couchman, 1835.
- Available via Biodiversity Heritage Library at: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/14341
"Phlox Drummondii. Mr. Drummond's Phlox." Edwards's Botanical Register: Or, Ornamental Flower Garden and Shrubbery: Consisting of Coloured Figures of Plants and Shrubs, Cultivated in British Gardens; Accompanied by Their History, Best Method of Treatment in Cultivation, Propagation, &tc. Continued by John Lindley. Volume X New Series (Or Vol. XXIII, of the Entire Work). London: James Ridgway and Sons, M.DCCC.XXXVII (1837).
- Available via Biodiversity Heritage Library at: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/9059
"Rufous Hummingbird Selasphorus rufus." South Dakota Birds and Birding > Species. Terry L. Sohl. Web. sdakotabirds.com
- Available at: http://sdakotabirds.com/species/rufous_hummingbird_info.htm
Spaulding, Perley (Dr.). "A Biographical History of Botany at St. Louis, Missouri. II." The Popular Science Monthly, Vol. LXXIV (January 1909): 48-57.
- Available via Biodiversity Heritage Library at: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/1660518
- Available via Internet Archive at: http://archive.org/details/popularsciencemo74newy
Whitehouse, Eula. “Annual Phlox Species.” American Midland Naturalist, Vol. 34, No. 2 (September 1945): 388-401.