Snickerdelicious Snickerdoodles recipe. Snickerdoodles are rich cinnamon sugar cookies that are crisp around the edges and soft in the middle.
Snickerdoodles are similar to sugar cookies but coated with cinnamon. In comparison, sugar cookies are rolled in white sugar, Snickerdoodles are rolled in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Snickerdoodles are crisp on the outer edge with a soft cake-like middle. They are sweet and spicy, which makes them a popular winter and holiday cookie.
The origin of Snickerdoodles is unknown. They have been around for years though. My grandmother claims to have baked her first batch of Snickdoodles about 50 years ago.
What you need to make Snickerdoodles.
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon. baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Cream of Tarter
- 3/4 cup sugar for coating
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon for coating
Have you ever tasted a Snickerdoodle?
Directions for making Snickerdoodles
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat it with a mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract: beat until thoroughly mixed
- Place the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cream of tarter and salt into a large bowl; mix together.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar butter mixture; mix well
- Shape the dough into a big ball and then wrap it in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the sugar coating by mixing 3/4 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Scoop up tablespoons of the cookie dough and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into the cinnamon sugar mixture and then place on a baking sheet 3 inches apart.
- Bake the snickerdoodles for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cook for then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 40 Snickerdoodles.
- To make a delicious Snickerdoodle sandwich, sandwich white frosting between 2 Snickerdoodle cookies.
- To make Pecan Snickdoodles, add ½ cup of finely chopped pecans after step 4 in the directions above.
- Store leftover Snikerdoodles in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Another Tasty Snikerdoodles Treat
Chex Mix Snickerdoodle Snack
A tasty, Gluten-Free, Snickerdoodles snack.