A toy cash register is something that will provide entertainment and educational value for your kids for years, so when you choose one, you'd better be sure it's the right one.
Mom's guide to buying the best toy cash register
Don't buy a new toy cash register until you've read this guide. Written buy a mom with a heap of toy experience, this guide tells you what features to look out for so you pick the
There are dozens to choose from, so I'm here to help you pick the best model for your child, by showcasing the highest rated, and most popular toy cash registers available from Amazon.
Kids love to play by pretending to be grown up, and take it from me as a parent – this is a role play toy you will get many hours of fun, and educational opportunities from.
Best for Beginners
Fisher Price Fun 2 Imagine
I confess, this is included for nostalgic reasons.
This is a replica of the original Fisher Price cash register, that I played with 30 years ago.
There’s no batteries, lights and sounds, just good, old fashioned fun.
Pop the chunky coins in the slot and push down on the buttons.
This is suitable for kids aged 2 years and up, but when playing with little kids, keep an eye on those coins as kids that age are always tempted to put things in their mouth.
This toy was released as a Toys R Us exclusive, priced at $16.99. If you find it on sale anywhere else, like Amazon or eBay, chances are you’ll be paying too much as the seller will have first bought this Fisher Price cash register from Toys R Us, then added some to the price, before selling it on.
Fisher Price Cash Register
Auctions may be for vintage or new models, so visit auction page for more details
Time left: 1 week, 2 days
Current bid: $18.82 Place bid
Best for learning through play
Learning Resources Teaching Cash Register Toy
Use role play to teach basic math and money management skills with this talking, interactive play cash register.
- Four featured games that help kids practice coin identification, addition, subtraction and basic calculator skills.
- The games difficulty adjusts as players advance their math skill levels.
- Transactions are rewarded with lights, sounds and voice messages.
- The coin reader identifies real and included plastic play coins.
- The checkout scanner comes with realistic sounds.
- Has a built in real working scale.
- Large LCD screen shows real transactions with big, easy-to-read numbers.
- Automatic shut-off saves batteries and reminds kids to “Come and play again.”
- Requires 3 “C” alkaline batteries (not included).
- Suitable for age 3 years.
This cash register toy has won multiple awards: Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award (2003-04), Oppenheim Toy Portfolio SNAP Award (Special Needs Adapted Products (2003-04), Gold Award Winner-National Parenting Publications Awards for Children’s Resources(NAPPA-2003-Tech Toys).
Learning Resources Teaching Cash Register
view product page by clicking blue link or image
|Learning Resources Teaching Cash Register|
Best for Realistic Play
Summit Talking Cash Register with Scanner
- The scanner will read barcodes from the included barcode sheet
- Large lcd screen for sales totals
- Voice amplified microphone – just like a real checkout
- Includes lots of play money
- Cash drawer makes a ca-ching sound when opened
- Available in grey, red or pink
- Suitable for ages 4 years +
Summit Talking Cash Registers
Tips To Consider
When your choosing the cash register there are some points to consider:
Does your child have the manual dexterity to be able to operate all the functions yet? Most models have tiny buttons that younger children may find difficult to operate.
How much rough and tumble will the register need to withstand. Registers with barcode scanners and conveyor belts are great for older children but younger kids might break off those add-ons.
Take the time to read the reviews written by other parents to get first hand feedback on what the toy is really like. This is what makes Amazon such a great place to buy from, because you can access 100s of reviews across dozens of toy cash registers.