An Ethical Guide To Amazon Sales
Use your interest, knowledge and skills to sell those products you know, like and use. It is way harder to sell items you don't use. Read more about how to do it ethically.
The Top Reasons You Don't Sell Amazon Products
When you sit down and think about this for a while. You will be amazed that if your not doing well and actually find with all the websites you use, your Amazon sales still stink. Your getting no action. What is amazing is this is actually a no brainer. You are going about your sales the WRONG way.
There are many guides out there on getting sales, yet this article is more about having the right head space and understanding from a personal viewpoint (a personal journey for you as a salesperson) on getting maximum sales for your pages on the internet, and MORE Amazon sales.
As a matter of fact, a page written by someone I trust and value highly for her insight and knowledge can help you with very good practical ways to get sales.
Read Wrylilts page on the 'Guide To Getting Amazon Sales' here
Please read their article and then come back to read this one (or bookmark it, if you read it later or pass on to your marketing colleagues).
My point of view for writing sales pages, with an ethical viewpoint is essentially writing about what I know. In a way that’s easy to digest and understand, makes sense to people and have them leave my page but they find value in what I wrote. If I have achieved the right result, I will gain a readers trust and they will value my judgement by buying a product through my page.
For me, when I write sales pages, the majority of my pages to sell products will be about smart phones, computers & computer peripherals, board games, computer games & Collectible card games. I don't sell items about other niches unless it is something I am experiencing and learning about thoroughly and researching ALOT. Travel is something I have been doing a fair amount of over 12 months and that will come about with some pages of articles with items to sell, and be travel based pages.
The main and most likely top reasons you’re not selling Amazon products will be;
- I don't have a background in sales so I'm inexperienced.
- I don't like to sell so can't sell products.
- I don't know what products to sell.
- I don't have enough information to sell certain products I would be interested in selling.
- I have never created an Amazon sales page before.
An Example Of What Not To Do
Let me tell you something. Your biggest learning curve on writing sales copy or articles with sales pages will be by trial and error.
I made the mistake of creating an article about women's boots. Not just any boots but really suave, really nice, really expensive boots. I know nothing about boots. So I went and spent time asking some of my female friends who know a little about shoes and had an opportunity to talk with a lovely lady about boots. So I did research and lots of it.
I wrote a beautifully laid out and finely crafted sales article about 3 specific sets of boots, containing loads of useful information and great Amazon links. The page looks spiffy. I get hundreds of views a month on the pages.
It has been out in the field for 6 months and not made a single sale. Not one. I put that down to not the price point, you would be surprised on how expensive some peoples tastes are for costs even in this economy. But I put it down to trust.
Ladies, would you by beautiful Italian Leather boots from a guy who writes about games and movies? HMMMMmmmmm.
Core Ethics And How To Write Within Your Personal Moral Compass
Let me just say, if you are one that wants to make money, but not through using Amazon widgets, modules, carousels and links, then don't. Do not compromise your principles, it is not worth it, it will not feel comfortable and you will become guilty in a short period of time.
On the other hand, don't let people say to you it is unethical to promote, push onto or sell yourself to others over the internet. This is usually based on people not understanding basic economics and how article promotion and sales promotion can work, from an ethical point of view. Which is, you have customers, you have sellers, customers buy from those sellers, that’s it.
The core ethic in any form of sales is, would you sell something you’re not comfortable in selling. Not something that your uncomfortable about due to lack of knowledge but selling something that would stop you sleeping at night.
One straight forward and ethical means to sell is to tell people what you know about, provide a product or service that’s related and tell people about that product. You almost do not have to do any 'selling'. If you find a solution to a problem and THAT excites you and you tell people, because it’s going to solve their problems, you’re going to sell stuff. Its always something, because your passionate about, will be something that’s ethical.
Selling items ethically are also done by looking at what your selling and then seeing if you would buy the product or service yourself. Ask questions using your moral judgement.
- Do your sales sound 'pushy'?
- Is there that emotional push for a 'time limited offer' when you know without a doubt that there is still a product or service still available when the time 'expires'.
- Do I get time to change my mind after purchase?
- Do I really need all the bells and whistles and can I just but the singular products without add ons?
- Am I being told about ALL I am getting when I purchase, or is there some hidden additional costs.
Being able to answer these questions will help you generate some amazing sales pages with Amazon (and other types of products and services as well)
How To Write With Good Ethical Sales Values
There are various ways to write and there is no 'right' way to create a website or article, or landing page, for selling products. You will get to find over time that you hit your stride and find your personal style. I know I find that writing about what I know and usually products that I myself have used or owned will fair very well. My style is to write informatively and solve problems or make 1, 2, 3 suggestions on providing some solutions to common problems.
On another writing site I see so many new articles appearing over the last 3 months about 'How to make money on the internet' by people who are, to me, are Nobodies. I don't make any apologies seeing these articles written by people who DON'T know how to make money on the internet, because they are new and clueless. These same people write Amazon articles and don't know what they are talking about. They write up some fluff and virtually copy the descriptions and rewrite it to sound better. They are really just trying to pad out their article to get to 300 words.
So how to write ethically?
- Engage your readers, make them feel welcome, you will find your 'style'
- Be reasonable, don't make wild claims
- Never write up features or benefits about a product unless you know those features or benefits to be FACT.
- Don't Lie
- Do not misrepresent your products. Which is likened to say, you like product X, but you REALLY want product Y.
- Do be creative.
- Do be adventurous
- Use humour or tell a story
- Don't go overboard on the emotional needs for sales, a little bit here and there is fine, just don't be silly about it, be realistic and be caring. Emotional based sales are things like, rewards to be had if one is losing weight (sell weight loss products), time limited factors (selling 37 items left so creating a sense of urgency), Buy this product for $49 today for tomorrow is goes back to a price of $89 (to create a sense of exclusivity for the sale)
- Do offer options
- You can be firm, but be nice.