Best Elliptical For Home Use
Finding the best elliptical for home use can be a daunting task unless you know where to look. The answer may surprise you.
Which is the Best Elliptical Trainer for the Home?
And what is the best way to shop for it?
It wasn't too long ago (OK, maybe it was nearly 30 years) when my parents took me on a wild goose chase to find my mom's first treadmill. I have no idea what brand it was, I just remember thinking at the time what an utter waste of my Saturday all that shopping had been.
My dad had made some appointment with the staff of Sears or some other place like it - even that's fuzzy now. I just remember thinking that my mom killed my plans for Saturday: no cartoons, no tree fort, no fun - I was tagging along and trying not to complain too loudly.
I managed to keep myself entertained by getting lost for about an hour at a nearby toy store - and remember it well because my mom paged my name over the P.A. system and I knew I was busted.
What does this have to do with finding the best elliptical for home use?
Without divulging too much of my traumatized boyhood, it struck me recently as I was shopping for my wife for her first elliptical. I didn't leave the house actually, I went online.
Ellipticals for Home Use
Some Budget Ellipticals Worth Considering
|Schwinn 470 Elliptical Machine|
The Schwinn 470 Elliptical is our top-of-the-line trainer, due to its premium quality, fluid motion and innovative features. Every inch of the Schwinn 470 is designed to keep yo...
|Nautilus E614 Elliptical Trainer|
The Nautilus E614 Elliptical trainer features the DualTrack LCD multi-display console with goal tracking functionality enabling the user to set and track exercise goals of worko...
|Sunny Health Fitness Magnetic Elliptical Bike|
This Sunny Health & Fitness magnetic elliptical trainer provides a smooth flowing workout for your upper and lower body. The hand pulse monitoring system built into the stationa...
|Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer|
Sweat with Small ThingsSure you want be physically fit and healthy, but finding time for a thoroughly effective cardiovascular workout is just plain difficult with your schedule...
|Schwinn 430 Elliptical|
Elliptical trainers are known for effective, full-body workouts. The Schwinn brand is known for excellent quality and value. The 430 puts the two together to bring you a smooth,...
|Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse|
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse can be folded up and rolled away when you are finished exercising. It is also designed to support up to a weight capacity of ...Only $149.00
Shopping the Best Elliptical Trainers Online
Finding Great Fitness on a Budget
I still remember as a kid how many stores my parents drug me to - and how thankful I am that I can get my shopping done (for Christmas or whatever) without even leaving my home if I want. Doesn't seem "fair" almost, but I'm not complaining.
What I did to find the best elliptical may not work for you - I review fitness equipment and own a website on elliptical machines (I know the industry). I've reviewed classic models like the Sole E95, and brand-new models like the Yowza Pompano.
Despite my familiarity with the industry, what worked for me should work for you.
- Get into the mid-range elliptical market. Maybe you have the money to spend on a Cybex Arc Trainer, I don't personally - most people will find a lot of value in the mid-range ellipticals. There are essentially 3 markets or price ranges for ellipticals: Club Quality Ellipticals, Mid-Range or "Special" Brands, Cheap Ellipticals. I like to think of them as Goldilocks did the porridge: too hot, too cold, just right (mid-range being "just right").
- Hunt down critical reviews. This usually takes you to Amazon.com, but you can find critical reviews from ConsumerReports.com or their magazine (especially their once-a-year annual review), or Google your elliptical brand and "problems" etc. Also you can try the "Discussions" tab in Google to find forums discussing your product (people get downright nasty when they think it's a private conversation). Mine these places for troublesome posts.
- Ask professionals their opinions. I run an elliptical website, but I'm critical of products, I know what I like and don't. But I'm suggesting here you check out physical therapists, personal trainers, athletes, chiropractors, etc. These people know what they're talking about in terms of ergonomics and injuries - and many have their favorite brands of ellipticals.
- Check out website reviews. Here you need to be picky - there are a lot of scammers out there who just want you to get your wallet out and buy. Ask yourself if the review seemed competent, or was it just re-hash? Are they adding anything to the mix other than listing spec's and prices? Be skeptical, but you can find great reviews if you look.
- Look for consistency. Some brands just do really well naturally, like the Sole Fitness brand or the Smooth Fitness brand. Others are still trying to establish their mark, like LIVESTRONG or Yowza Fitness, and still others have proven their lack of quality (anything from ICON Fitness is suspect). Pay attention to trends, they're there for a reason.
- Contact manufacturers. They have contact forms - use them. Call them up, question them - and pay attention to their customer service. Are they patient or rude? Do they pick up the phone or leave you hanging? These are huge indicators of what to expect when you (may) need a service call.
I would list other factors like "only buy if you can try," but honestly I don't shop that way personally. I buy site-unseen all the time, I know what I'm shopping for (and you should too: like what stride length do you need, etc.).
And I often think back to the "dark ages" when my parents would lug me around town and ruin Saturday by shopping for hours - it was torture.
If you're like me and prefer convenience while shopping, you can be confident in proven winning brands selling their ellipticals online. I'm not just saying that as a webmaster of a review site, I'm saying that out of experience (my home gym is entirely built from online purchases), you just need to know your product and what to look for.
Finding the best ellipticals for home use is easy to do, without leaving your home (and you save lots of money this way as a consumer: no retail markup = huge savings, more value).