Creating a personal brand is as crucial as maintaining an excellent first impression and your reputation. Thus, it is important that you follow certain techniques that can help you establish a brand that will position yourself as an expert in your field or industry.
1. Determine Your Unique Traits
- Initially, you should understand that your brand sums up everything about you. It is made up of sets of meanings that are strong, positive, and lasting. Moreover, a brand is consistent, so it is not something that changes from time to time.
- With this in mind, you should begin by examining your core purpose, then come up with a list of words or emotional modifiers that feature your traits. For instance, think about how other people think of you and what you are known for.
2. Establish A Sense Of Purpose In What You Do
- Powerful and renowned brands know exactly what they want and their purpose. If you want to create a lasting and well-known brand, then you should determine what could give you a sense of accomplishment.
- Furthermore, you should also know your reasons for aspiring for these goals. Keep in mind that your objectives do not need to be long-term in nature, but these should provide you with a clear path towards immediate success.
3. Reflect on Your Career History, Your Present Situation and Your Future
- It is common for people to have a lengthy career history and professional experiences, and it is up to you to pull these together to come up with a coherent and organized career story. After all, personal branding is all about telling a story with a logo, a catch-phrase or meaningful statement.
- Look back at your experiences, think about the things you have learned, determine how the past has brought you to where you are at present, and determine where you are heading in your career. Learn your career story and present this in your personal brand.
4. Identify and Be Specific About Your Personal Brand Positioning
- Primarily, brand positioning refers to the place you establish in the heart and mind of your target audience. While being the best may be everyone's ultimate goal, you need to be more specific about what you want to attain.
- Hence, it does not suffice that you only focus on what you excel in, but your brand should be something that completely sets you apart from your competitors. The idea is to understand the combination of everything you offer, and how all of these make up something distinctive and sensational.
5. Make Your Story A Compelling One
- No one can resist a compelling and captivating story, so this is exactly what you must offer others. While facts are relevant to any brand, you need to create a story that will grab the attention of your target audience.
- In addition, your personal brand should appeal not only to their imaginations, but also to their senses and emotions, so you should make them feel excited and confident as they learn more about your brand.
- Lastly, your story should not focus on your list of qualifications or achievements, but it must provide a powerful foundation of how you can be valuable to others.
6. Be True To Your Word and Stick To The Truth
- Some people are tempted to stretch the truth a bit and exaggerate their story with the hopes of enticing their audience. However, the truth always has its way of coming out, and one slip can ruin your reputation for years.
- Considering the drawbacks of inventing or exaggerating your story, you should stick to what's factual about your brand. After all, there is no need to be something that you are not because top-notch brands are built on integrity and authenticity.
- Just tell your brand in a more compelling manner instead of overstating your skills or adding unnecessary pieces of information that mean nothing to your audience. Be straightforward in your manner of presenting the brand and avoid flowery words.
7. Provide Real Value That Makes You Irreplaceable
- As you create your personal brand, make sure you understand that reputation is not the only thing you should establish, but also the actual value you provide. Your goal is to let your audience know how you can serve them and make their lives much better because of you.
- You should remember that your dedication and enthusiasm to serve and offer value will be noticed, so make it a point to determine how you can be irreplaceable. You will know that you have developed your personal brand when others consider you as an essential part of their daily lives.