How to Make Eggnog with a Dutch Twist
Easy recipe for Dutch advocaat, thick and creamy and eaten with a little spoon. Advocaat is different from eggnog, a frothy concoction of milk, sugar, eggs and brandy or rum.
Is Eggnog the Same as Dutch Advocaat?
Eggnog and Dutch advocaat are two worlds apart. Eggnog is frothy and liquid. Advocaat is thick and creamy, looks a bit like custard and is eaten from small glasses with a tiny spoon. The main ingredient of Dutch advocaat is brandewijn, a white liquor with an alcohol percentage of at least 45%. A good substitute for brandewijn is Vodka.
An important ingredient of eggnog is milk or cream. The Dutch don't use milk to make advocaat, although some probably less experienced cooks use condensed milk. This speeds up the thickening process and is especially handy when you haven't got a double boiler.
There are as many advocaat recipes as there are cooks. My grandmother handed down her advocaat recipe to my mother and she to me. When you read the recipe, you will see that eggnog is not the same as advocaat.
Do you like eggnog?
Dutch Advocaat Recipe
The secret to good advocaat is au-bain marie cooking method. If you haven't got a double boiler, put a heat-proof bowl on top of a saucepan filled with water. Bring the water to the boil, lower the heat and whisk the yolks in the heated bowl. This double boiler method prevents the eggs from curdling.
Ingredients for advocaat
- 4 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 250 grams / 5 oz. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 ml brandewijn or vodka
1. Beat the yolks and sugar to a creamy and thick mixture
2. Put the bowl on the saucepan with the gently boiling water
3. Slowly pour in the brandewijn or vodka
4. Add the vanilla extract
5. Stir until the mixture is thick and creamy
6. When the advocaat coats the back of a spoon your advocaat is ready
7. Put the mixture in the fridge or a cool spot.
Quick Dutch Advocaat recipe
If you are in a hurry, haven't got a double boiler and don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen, try this quick Dutch advocaat recipe.
Ingredients for Quick Advocaat
- 8 egg yolks
- 500 g sugar
- 1 liter condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- ½ liter brandewijn or Vodka
1. Whisk the eggs and the sugar until creamy
2. Add the condensed milk and the brandewijn or Vodka
3. Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth
4. Store about two days in the fridge before eating your Dutch Advocaat
Pour advocaat in a small glass, serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and eat it with a little spoon. I smother vanilla ice-cream with a generous helping of advokaat. I like to mix a big dollop of advocaat with hot chocolate. The perfect drink for a cold winter night.