Sometimes whether or not you like something especially it is very good for you and should be worked into your menu and lifestyle so as to benefit your body and your health in the best way. Obviously, most people don't want to eat straight limes and lemons because they are sour but cooking them into recipes can still add nutrients and benefit your health. I am on a journey to find MORE ways of including the citrus fruits into my diet because there are SO MANY ways in which they contribute to better health.
Health Benefits of Citrus Fruit
What I have learned about lemons, limes and oranges as it pertains to both diabetes and kidney disease and the benefits of each of them.
Benefits of Citrus Fruit
Lemons, Limes and Oranges
- fights infection
- is an antioxidant
- lowers blood pressure
- increases HDL (good cholesterol)
- fights cancer
- helps clear digestive issues
- dries up acne
- lemon juice helps against colds
- helps with urinary tract infections
- lemon juice relieves gastric problems
- warm lemon juice every morning helps lower weight and cholesterol
- lemon juice is good for the teeth and mouth
- high in Vitamin C
- used for GOUT
- it's a diuretic and good for KIDNEY and bladder disorders
- high in Vitamin C
- helps against arthritis
- fight cancer
- cure for scurvy
- good for skin care
- aids in digestion
- helps constipation
- good for eyes
- good for the gums
- good for GOUT
- helps with weight loss
- help urinary disorders
- helps with heart disease and DIABETES
- Vitamin C
- dietary fiber
- Vitamin A & B and other nutrients
- fights cancer
- lowers cholesterol
- helps with constipation
- heals damaged sperm
- lowers high blood pressure
- fights heart disease
- boosts immune system
- prevents kidney stones
- protects the skin
- fiber helps blood sugars
CAUTION: seeds poisonous so avoid chewing on or eating them, excessive consumption of citrus juices can leech calcium causing decay of bones
NOT Included in This List
I have not included these fruits because I neither like them nor eat them.
GRAPEFRUIT also interferes with one of the medications I am taking so it's no big deal to me.
HOWEVER...some of the articles listed below will also have information on these fruit if you do a search and a bit of research.
Benefits for Kidney Disease, Type 2 Diabetes and Gout
(lemons, limes, oranges)
- good for kidneys,
- helps dissolve kidney stones,
- can also be good for prevention if included regularly in diet
- helps lower sugars and control diabetes,
- Vitamin C boost helps relieve pain from gout
(for kidney disease)
If you are watching your potassium it is good to be mindful where each of these fruits fit into the potassium list so you will be able to judge accordingly whether you eat them at all or how often you do eat them if you do.
Simple Recipes to Try
(eat them, drink them, cook them in recipes)
What I Have Learned
Lemons & Lemon Water:
- taste good and are an easy way to add lemon to your diet.
- I also drink lemon tea.
- SMELL absolutely awesome when cooking
- add GREAT flavour to dishes
- orange juice jacks sugars high too quickly so drink WITH meals
- recipes cooked with orange juice are delicious!
- good way to get nutrients without the sugar being elevated ;)
When hubby and I were trying to get pregnant the monthly tests coming back negative were starting to depress me so I did some research. I found that oranges and orange juice help sperm production so I bought OJ and made hubby drink it regularly! What do you know but by the next month's test it was POSITIVE. take from this what you will but I BELIEVE that it works!
Also, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son and a high risk pregnancy so we endured non-stress tests and ultrasounds regularly throughout. Usually before the test they would give me a glass of OJ to drink and then IMMEDIATELY after, the baby would be moving around and excited. Can you say SUGAR RUSH? Apparently this is why OJ is the first thing a diabetic should drink when they are having a sugar low!!
I've always LOVED cleaning supplies with lemon scent to them. It has always been a clean and fresh scent for me.
I also appreciate a lemon wedge in my iced tea or in a cup of warm water. It's a quick and easy way to get the nutrients into your body.
Other than the fact that I like the flavour of limes and enjoy finding and trying new recipes with it for some reason any alcoholic drinks (and I don't drink anymore but once in awhile want to enjoy one) bother me EXCEPT for ones with LIME. Margaritas anyone? lol
Also, I LOVE the smell of fresh limes cooking in something. SO good!!