There is always some turkey that is left over after the Christmas or Thanksgiving main meals, but rather than throwing the turkey away here are three leftover turkey recipes to make a new meal – Turkey with Tomato Recipe, Turkey Risotto Recipe and Turkey Hotpot Recipe. Get cooking and enjoy the eating.
Recipes for Leftover Turkey
Some tips about what to do with leftover turkey after Christmas or Thanksgiving.
Make Christmas last longer with leftover turkey
Leftover turkey is always a problem and while most people have some recipes for bringing it back to life here are three easy ones to add to the book.
Turkey with Tomato Recipe
This is a very simple tomato dish, and quick. Despite this it is very tasty and filling. It should be served with a favourite pasta. Try adding a teaspoon of turmeric to the water with the pasta to give it a nice yellow colour and a bit more taste. For those who like a bit of bite, use chilli powder instead of black pepper.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 400g tin of tomatoes
- Chopped cooked turkey
- Half a chopped fennel
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 0.5 litre of hot water
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion until it starts to brown. Add the tinned tomatoes and stir.
- Then add turkey, fennel and oregano. Bring to the boil stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and pepper, stir.
- Add water and stir well. Boil for about 30 minutes until it reduces to a thick sauce.
Turkey Risotto Recipe
This is a straightforward risotto. White wine can be used instead of the Campari, but Campari gives a richer flavour. Other vegetables can be used instead of the chicory and mushrooms. And if saffron is a bit pricey or difficult to find, then use a teaspoon of turmeric instead - not as good but better than nothing.
- 0.5 litre of water
- Cooked turkey chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 leaves of chicory chopped
- 2 mushrooms chopped
- Half a teaspoon of fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- Half a teaspoon of parsley
- Onion chopped fine
- 1 clove of garlic chopped fine
- 85g of rice
- 1 cap full of Campari
- 4 strands of saffron crushed
- 2 teaspoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring the water to the boil and add the turkey, chicory, mushrooms, fennel, thyme and parsley. Simmer for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until the onion starts to brown. Add rice and fry until the rice starts to absorb the oil. Do not let the rice brown. Add Campari and cook until the liquid has nearly evaporated.
- Add the turkey mixture and boil for 20 or 30 minutes until the rice is tender - add more hot water if necessary.
- Add saffron and simmer for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted. If the mixture is too liquidy, then fast boil excess liquid away.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with more Parmesan cheese.
Turkey Hotpot Recipe
Some may scream at the thought of using turkey in what is basically a variation on the good old Lancashire hotpot. Yet the original idea behind the hotpot was a simple meal made with leftovers, and as this is about leftover turkey here is the turkey hotpot. More and different vegetables can be added for variety.
- Cooked turkey chopped into large pieces
- Left over stuffing (optional)
- Large onion, chopped
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- Sliced potatoes (enough to make a single layer covering on top of the casserole)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 2 (150degC).
- Lay turkey pieces across the bottom of a casserole dish. Crumble any left over stuffing on top of the turkey. Cover with a layer of onion and chilli.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, thyme, parsley, celery and any spare vegetables lying around. Put a layer of potatoes on top to cover the whole dish. Add hot water until level with the potatoes. Sprinkle the paprika on top.
- Cover and put in oven for 40 minutes. Remove lid and cook for another 30 minutes.
|The Ultimate Turkey Fryer Cookbook: Over 150 Recipes for Frying Just About Anything|
Discover the many uses of your turkey fryer throughout the entire year! The Ultimate Turkey Fryer Cookbook covers everything you need to know to make the most of your new (or un...
|Pot Roast Recipes: Learn How to Cook the Most Delicious Beef, Lamb, or Turkey Recipes from a Pot ...|
DescriptionPot Roast RecipesFor old-fashioned comfort food, pot-roasting is hard to beat. In this must have ebook, simple but delicious, pot roast meals can be prepared in so ma...
|Turkey Meatloaf Recipes - 27 Best and Easy To Cook Newby Friendly|
Enjoy the delicious Turkey Meatloaf Recipes. The 27 recipes in the book are newby frienly and very easy to cook.Happy Cooking :)