On the subject of narcissism...
I think my aversion to Facebook stems from a belief that it has two fundamental purposes: to incite envy, and to incite schadenfreude. With relatively few exceptions, that's what Facebook usage is all about.
Do I have a Facebook account? Yes. Do I post things about my life? No. Do I post pictures? No (because I don't like the fact that Facebook owns anything posted on its pages). I use it, mainly, to keep in touch with friends that I no longer see.
Although, frankly, even for that, it's not the most effective tool. I know that one of my friends has just bought a new house, and that another is getting married in a little over a month. But I still haven't actually spoken to them...I haven't even written. I just know what's going on their lives, because they want the rest of the world to know.
It feels like we're in closer touch, yet we're not really. In fact, we're probably less so. Because all I know of them is what they want to share publicly, which is usually the good stuff, as they want people to envy their fabulous lives!
Facebook is a bit like a litmus test: how is my life compared with other people's? 'Well, Fred has just got divorced, so I'm doing better than him. But Jim is going backpacking around Australia...what a show-off!'
And, if that weren't enough of a reason to dislike Facebook. There are always 'those' types of users. You know the ones I mean:
- The obsessive moms (or dads), who think everyone is as interested in their offspring as they are.
- The brides-to-be, who feel the need to constantly count down the days until 'their special moment'.
- The dirty laundry airers - I realize you want to humiliate your ex because he cheated on you, but you're not coming off well in all this. What happened to dignified silence?
- The people who wouldn't have spat on you if you were on fire in high school, but 'add' you as a friend
- The passive aggressives - 'wow, you look....different! lol!'
- The big fat opinions - for some people, Facebook is their soapbox, and by golly can they spout some revealing things. Not all of them pretty.