Sometimes there just isn’t time to cook a proper meal, and while the ready meals at the supermarket are often a tempting option, this simple dish with bacon, mushrooms and pasta is easy to make, quick to cook and very tasty. All you need is a saucepan and a wok or frying pan, and you are ready to go.
Bacon And Mushroom Penne Recipe
A simple to make but tasty pasta dish for when you are in a hurry
Bacon, mushroom and penne
Photo by Steve Rogerson
This pasta dish is very quick and simple to cook but is flavoursome and refreshing. This makes it an ideal meal to whip up when short of time. It can be eaten with just a fork, so put it in a large bowl and balance it on your knee while watching television.
The amounts shown are enough for one person, so multiply up the main ingredients depending on the number of people being cooked for. Adjust the garlic, chilli and parsley according to taste if cooking for more than one.
The amount of time the penne needs to be boiled varies depending on the brand, so check on the packaging. Normally there is a range of cooking times with the shorter time producing a firmer al dente style.
Smoked bacon can be used instead of unsmoked but this tends to have a stronger flavour and could overwhelm the dish.
The chilli is optional, but if not used then half a teaspoon of ground black pepper should be added instead. More chilli can be used if a hotter dish is preferred.
Only a small amount of olive oil is needed, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Devices for fine spraying oil onto the pan exist and are suitable for this dish as the bacon will create its own oil as it starts to cook.
Serve with a crisp and sharp white wine or a light hoppy or citrusy summer beer.
- Pinch of turmeric
- Two fistfuls of dried penne
- Two rashers of unsmoked lean back bacon
- Two mushrooms
- One small chilli
- One clove of garlic
- Quarter of a teaspoon of finely chopped parsley
- Olive oil
- Add the turmeric to a pan of water and bring to the boil
- Add the penne and boil till ready, about ten minutes
- Trim the fat off the bacon and chop into approximately 1cm squares
- Slice the mushrooms, chop the chilli and crush the garlic
- Mix the bacon, mushrooms, chilli, garlic and parsley in a bowl
- Heat the oil is a wok or frying pan and add the bacon mixture
- Cook, stirring constantly, on a medium heat until the bacon is cooked, about four to five minutes
- Drain the pasta and add to the bacon dish
- Stir for about a minute until well mixed
- Serve immediately
You might also likeRecipes for Leftover Turkey
Some tips about what to do with leftover turkey after Christmas or Thanksgiving.How to Boil an Egg and How to Fry an Egg
A quick and simple guide to the basics of boiling and frying eggs
SteveRogerson, Thank you for practical information, pretty pictures and product lines.
Penne is not among my top favorite pastas. So I like having this recipe, which I tried with the box of penne that was mis-shelved and which I therefore inadvertently purchased with my boxes of rotelli.
It makes such a nice mix that I actually loved everything altogether (even the penne ;-D). It was great fun combining everything with two "fistfuls" of penne pasta. Would that not make up different amounts depending upon the dimensions of one's hand?