This quesadilla is absolutely fantastic! It's made with finely shredded smoked Gouda, store-bought basil pesto sauce, chicken and tortillas and it goes together really quickly. I like to eat it with tortilla chips and salsa on the side, although it's really a meal in itself. It's also great for introducing new flavors to your kids. This recipe makes one quesadilla so be sure to double or triple it, depending on how many you're serving. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it!
1/2 cup finely shredded smoked Gouda
2 tablespoons basil pesto sauce
1 boneless chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large flour or whole-wheat tortilla
1. Slice chicken breast into thin strips, season with salt and pepper and cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, shred Gouda cheese carefully. You can adjust the amount of cheese you use as well.
3. Place tortilla in a skillet over medium-high heat and allow it to brown. Flip when it starts to bubble.
4. Meanwhile, add pesto sauce to chicken and stir to coat. Simmer for two minutes.
5. Add chicken to half of the tortilla and cover with Gouda. Allow the tortilla to cook for one more minute then fold over. Immediately flip so the cheese is on the bottom, then remove from pan and cut into halves.