Renovation Ideas for your Home
Lots of inspiring renovation ideas for updating your home to increase its comfort, function and value.
47 Renovation Ideas to Inspire Your Imagination
If you want to make changes and improvements to your home, but you're not sure exactly what you'd like to do, you're in the right place! Here's a great collection of renovation ideas to get your own imagination working on changes you can make.
Renovation Ideas for Ceilings, Walls, and Floors
IKEA kitchen renovation ideas
More Ideas for Your Home's Exterior
Customise the exterior
- Paint trim and wall sections different colors (play with B&W photos first to see how different options will look).
- Add or change trim.
- Change doors.
- Add or remove or change a porch or deck.
- Put a second-floor deck on top of a closed in front porch, or on the roof!
- If you need to re-roof, consider a different material. Long-lasting metal comes in everything from white to reflect the sun's light and heat, through a wide range of wild or subtle colors to black.
- If you have historic doors, don't replace them unless you must
- Plain-jane doors can be replaced or changed with mouldings or smoothed out with new door skins.
- Paint can bring out or hide texture or mouldings or panels.
- Trim can be improved if it's been originally applied in a skimpy way, or if historic moldings have been removed or replaced.
- Add or change moldings
- Replace windows or just sashes
- Paint in muti-colored schemes to bring out moldings and contrast with the room, or to blend in.
- Window treatments can be added or changed: shutters, blinds, shades, drapes, curtains, insulating panels.
- Consider interior or exterior storm windows if you have historic single-pane windows that are worth keeping.
Renovation Ideas for your Home's Systems
Energy-efficiency or energy-generating renovations
- Solar PV (photovoltaic) electricity-generating system
- Solar water heating
- Solar air heating through the walls
- Insulation and weatherstripping everywhere.
Emergency-proof your home by having multiple systems for each necessary aspect
- Heating (electricity, gas, wood, solar...)
- Cooking (electricity, gas, propane, wood...)
- Water (city water, well, spring, rainwater collection...)
- Sewage (regular plumbing system, greywater system, composting toilet...)
- Lighting (regular AC power, solar panel, wind-up lights, kerosene lamps, candles...
What are your renovation plans?
Renovation Ideas in Books
|The Smart Approach to Home Renovation|
Thinking about remodeling but perhaps a little unsure of what to expect? The Smart Approach to® Home Renovation is the latest title in the best-selling series of Smart ...
|The Modern Kitchen Pantry: How to Design, Create and Use Your Pantry|
If you've ever wanted a pantry for your home kitchen - or to make better use of the one you have - this booklet is for you. Immensely practical, with the help of author and ...Only $3.99
|All New Kitchen Idea Book (Taunton Home Idea Books)|
With some 370 color photographs from todays leading designers and architects, this book will help you create a kitchen for any style and budget. A complete guide, the All New ...
|Basement Ideas that Work|
Finding extra living space without adding on might be only a flight of stairs away. Homeowners with a basement have the unique opportunity to turn unused space into a great ...
|Bathroom Ideas that Work|
From the publisher of the bestselling Idea Books comes a new design sourcebook series that moves beyond inspiration and provides the essential information homeowners need to ...
|Ideas and How-To: Additions (Better Homes & Gardens Decorating)|
A wealth of inspiring ideas for adding living space, from a modest bumpout to a new room to a full second story.Ideas and before-and-after floor plans for every type of ...Only $36.31