In order to be successful in anything you do, you must take a professional approach. It is no less so for online writing. In fact, because you will not be in a business office environment, scrutinized by a manager, or assisted by colleagues, it is even more necessary to be professional in your attitude, and get organized.
Organization is not just keeping your desk tidy, or setting aside a time of day to undertake the production of articles. An holistic approach must be implemented, that is if you want to make a success of what you are about to undertake.
The 5 essential tasks are in fact just the headings for that which you must implement. They are the cornerstones of any successful business. You are now in business, for yourself. They are:
- Analyze and adjust
- Rinse and repeat
Pretty straightforward really. No rocket science here. You pretty much do this already: in your head. The most important advice I can give you at this point is that you must formalize these tasks.
- Making a plan does not mean "I'll do that next", it means structuring your business to achieve success: not to stave off failure.
- Doing research does not mean just read what others have written, and rehash it with different noise words. It means the production of evidence, investigation, questioning, reviewing, implementing that which is right and throwing away that which is wrong.
- Writing does not mean sitting down and typing without knowing what your intro, middle and conclusion will be. You must plan what it is you are to write. Organizing it so that it flows in a logical sequence. Optimize it so that it has the best chance of success.
- Analyzing and adjusting is not just being reactive to major external pressures, it is also the tweaking of content such that it performs better - you will never get it exactly right first time.
- Rinse and repeat does mean taking everything you have learned and implementing the best bits and removing the bits that did not work for you.
It is then that you sit down to write. With a sound plan to hand, and knowledge about your subject. You can now let your creative juices flow: create the masterpiece - even if it is only 400 words you are producing. For maximum success, the less you write, the more crafted, and succinct, it must be. No superfluous chit-chat or extraneous joining words. Straight to the point: Bang!